Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Static port location- consensus?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Static port location- consensus?

I've been through the various threads on the forum regarding various static port locations (or none at all) on different years and models of shortwings. My '54 PA22/20 has static ports on the pitot mast (the inverted "F"), as well as 2 ports 12" apart on the hellhole cover. Both locations have tubes connected to them, but I haven't followed them or experimented to see which one is hooked up.
    Is there some sort of consensus about the best location?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Static port location- consensus?

Just got back from doing a static leak check. Found out that they are BOTH static sources are hooked up. Interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

The static ports in the belly didn't come out until around '56, so someone added them at some point. As long as the system works OK, I'd leave it alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We found the the static ports on the belly give the most accurate airspeed readings. Piper improved things over the years and seems those improvements worked like the many static port revisions and the double groove trim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    We found the the static ports on the belly give the most accurate airspeed readings. Piper improved things over the years and seems those improvements worked like the many static port revisions and the double groove trim.
    That’s why both are going in my Clipper!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I was having issues with my static ports on my 55 PA-22 and found that some one ran tube to the back and poked a hole in the fabric for the port. What i did was bough two of these from spruce and in stalled them on the panel with the rotating beacon.Screenshot_20210806-051419_Brave.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

The location for the static ports is in the belly in the fabric just aft of the baggage.

Post Thanks / Like

I was having issues with my static ports on my 55 PA-22 and found that some one ran tube to the back and poked a hole in the fabric for the port. What i did was bough two of these from spruce and in stalled them on the panel with the rotating beacon.
    Sounds like mine, with the exception of also being plumbed in parallel to the ports on the pitot mast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NV Hunter View Post
    I was having issues with my static ports on my 55 PA-22 and found that some one ran tube to the back and poked a hole in the fabric for the port. What i did was bough two of these from spruce and in stalled them on the panel with the rotating beacon.Screenshot_20210806-051419_Brave.jpeg

It should be in the fabric just forward of the access panel, forget off hand what station number, but definitely forward of that panel.

Post Thanks / Like

Why is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    It should be in the fabric just forward of the access panel, forget off hand what station number, but definitely forward of that panel.