Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Uh oh

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Uh oh

I had a partial power loss, it got busy and became more partial and stopped looking for the power lines as I lined up with a nice road.

Spent too much time at power line hight bleeding off airspeed.

Saw them at the last moment mid windscreen, pitched up, and shoved the throttle in, cleaned off the nose gear and then tangled up the mains, C182E, walked away but tore some muscles in my back that took some time to heal, guess I was holding on too tight.

The main takeaway was spending too much time at power line hight and perhaps pitching down would have been a better option.

Also having a bad engine go from bad to worse was the big distraction that caused me to stop looking for power lines

I recall the answer to a few questions from the NTSB were: I was busy flying the plane.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

I saw that aircraft flying over the river that day. Accident must have happened shortly after.

Glad he was not hurt

Post Thanks / Like

Following rivers at or below the tree tops is a lot of fun but, in addition to power lines, there are zip lines and trolleys(?) to watch out for. Even a well known segment of river can grow teeth without any warning. An unknown segment could have a bridge around the next corner.