Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine heater

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Engine heater

I use programable timer for my pad heater. Shuts itself off. I have electric in my hangar.��

Post Thanks / Like

I use “Switcheon” to turn on/off the heat pad and or battery charger with my cell phone from anywhere. Works great!

Post Thanks / Like

Here a remote switch that is setup for 4G cell service. Looks easy enough to setup and operate and it's only $150
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I don’t think the weather down here in Maryland gets cold enough often enough to warrant a remote switch. But thanks for the links. I have an IoT system in my home running off of my Wi-Fi network. My hanger doesn’t have Wi-Fi so I was assuming if I wanted to control a switch I would need to buy Wi-Fi access at the hanger, which didn’t make financial sense to me. Good to know there are some lower cost alternatives to get the same functionality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I use a kerosene heater and made a duct out of HVAC ducts to blow the hot air into the bottom of the cowling. I can control the heat by the distance of the heater from the duct. Been doing this for 20 years (I'm on the second kerosene heater). I start the process after I open the hangar door and let it run while I do the pre-flight. Oil temperature will reach between 80 and 100 Fahrenheit in about 20 minutes even when the temperature is in the 20s.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a cool setup, I made a simple one also that gets the engine warm when its 20f out in mid january. If you do this make sure to get a heater with a 750 watt setting, the 1500 will pop a breaker sometimes in my hangar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PA-16; 11-21-2021 at 12:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tnathan View Post
    Thanks. I don’t think the weather down here in Maryland gets cold enough often enough to warrant a remote switch. But thanks for the links. I have an IoT system in my home running off of my Wi-Fi network. My hanger doesn’t have Wi-Fi so I was assuming if I wanted to control a switch I would need to buy Wi-Fi access at the hanger, which didn’t make financial sense to me. Good to know there are some lower cost alternatives to get the same functionality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Switcheon” doesn’t require wi-fi. Works anywhere your phone will work. 15 amp. Simple to use. It uses an app, you push on or off. Shows the temp in your hanger. They have 2 circuit and 4 circuit models. Got my 2 circuit last year, $199. Nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer15p View Post
    “Switcheon” doesn’t require wi-fi. Works anywhere your phone will work. 15 amp. Simple to use. It uses an app, you push on or off. Shows the temp in your hanger. They have 2 circuit and 4 circuit models. Got my 2 circuit last year, $199. Nice!
    I've got sketchy wifi at the hangar and was looking into Swicheon. Its $250 now plus $50 per year. Ouch! Should've bit the bullet last year :-/

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing cheap about an airplane is the pilot. People want to balk at the purchase price of heaters so they buy a cheap electric one and come up with some sort of rigging to sort of make it work. What does it do to the hangar electric bill? 50 a year to be able to control the heater is cheaper than one months electric bill increase if allowed to run full time.

If a 1500 watt heater pops a breaker, I would look at the loading on that circuit and possibly replace the breaker (an old one can get weak, don't just upsize the breaker!!)

Post Thanks / Like

Don't have 120V at my hangar. Use a 2000W Honda Gen-Set (rated for 1600W continuous) with inexpensive 120V heater:

Last edited by rideandfly; 11-23-2021 at 08:03 PM.