Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Here or Maintenance? Engine quit on final.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Here or Maintenance? Engine quit on final.

Every plane/engine is different. Covering or blocking off part of the oil cooler with metal tape is easy and you have a temp gauge to monitor what is happening. Covering cowl inlets can lead to problems if you do not have a 4 cylinder CHT gage to insure you are not getting your cylinders too hot. In general flying in the winter is good for your engine. Even blocking off my oil cooler I don't get over 160 so I just fly as much as possible, use Camguard and change at 25 hours/4 months. DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Denny. If your temps are like mine that’s good enough for me. Just got worried from some of the discussion. Brian

Post Thanks / Like

With my oil cooler totally blocked I don’t get over 165 on a cold day.

Post Thanks / Like

Your best bet when temps are cold is to fly often. Block your cooler, and use thinner oil. Lycoming has the recommendations on oil viscosity vs. Temps. Sounds like you should be using 20 or 30 weight in those temps. Even if you can't get temps up, the frequent flying use (mechanical action) will tend to drive off water by evaporation and evacuation due to crankcase pressurization. That's the best you can do. Fly often, Correct oil viscosity, Slow warm up, then run it wide open for an hour or so. Smile, winter solstice was over a month ago. Spring is coming.

Post Thanks / Like

Weather has been consistently atrocious the last few months.
    It's been so bad I went from 8 to 12 hours a month last winter to only 20 since the end of August.
    And nothing but bad weather in the forecast for the next week.
    sigh...........

Post Thanks / Like

Only way a small continental will get 200 degree oil temp in winter is if it's on fire.