Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My crash in PA22-150 at IAR9 airpark

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My crash in PA22-150 at IAR9 airpark

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    This was tough to read... but they always are.

Two years ago I had a moose in the yard take me down. Can't fly anymore... I might be able to some day but.

Healing takes time. It's a fight to keep moving forward so don't give up. About nine months in a saw myself in a mirror and didn't like what I saw, I was just begaining to be mobile so I just turned it up and started really taking care of myself and working out, eating smart, eating less...

A couple years before the moose I lost an engine then found the only power lines on four miles of straight road. Tried to kill me. Could have been worse, to totalledthe bird, tore some muscles in my back but mostly walked away...

We make the best choices we can and always need a little luck.

Rocket
    Wow, a moose got you! No moose around here but their evil relatives the Canadian goose (geese) are serious hazards in our area. Talk about runway incursions, the geese do it and they are hard to see sometimes.

Thanks for the encouragement to not give in to the injuries. I hope the time that has passed since your crash has shown improvement and given you hope.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spdcrazy View Post
    I am so sorry to hear about this. Quite sobering. I also installed harnesses immediately after buying my pacer. My wreck was more of a down impact than a forward one, but I am glad to have had them.

do you think a helmet would have helped you in addition to the harness?

heal up, my friend. Glad you are still with us.
    A helmet would definitely have helped. Where my face smacked the panel, I had a crushed right eye socket, a broken nose, and various lacerations. We’re 6 weeks post crash and 2 surgeries on my face and there is no feeling on much of the right side, nerve damage I’m told. In hindsight a helmet would have prevented most if not all of this. That said, a harness would have as well.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, for anyone following this thread, after dealing with the aftermath of all this,

PLEASE NOTE: I did NOT crash N7337D. What happened was an unforeseen POWER OFF CONTROLLED DESCENT INTO A HEAVILY WOODED AREA which destroyed the airplane. I didn’t destroy our Piper, the woods did.

Small point, some would say. But to pilots, the difference is significant. Or is it just me with too much time to ruminate?

My intent in writing this a bit tongue-in-cheek which reading printed text doesn’t convey.