Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new Bushmaster build

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: new Bushmaster build

I just saw the Airframes is working on an STC approved aluminum strut for PA 22/20. This might work for certified Super Pacers. If Airframes sells the aluminum strut and STC to a PA 22/20 owner the mechanic could combine the SP STC and Airframes STC and use aluminum struts for their certified Super Pacer. Airframes would have to leave the aluminum strut long so it cut be cut to size for the SP.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I will certainly keep that one in mind. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Barrie

If you build to the plans specs I have all aluminum struts available (experimental). I have made them for the for Bushmaster types with gross up to 2900 pounds. They are in either the Bushmaster style of attachment (sorta Decathlon), the SC style that have the 5/8" fork at each lower attach point or if angles are unknown a "universal" type of fitting can be used. I will also have the wing reinforcement parts pre made for the experimentals soon if interested.

Several examples

IMG_1837.JPGIMG_1829.JPGIMG_1715.jpgIMG_1814.JPGIMG_0715(1).jpgIMG_1751.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

That gives me a lot to consider. It's good to know you have such a large MTOW. Sending a PM soon.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    The spar needs reinforcement regardless of splicing. I don't think a full length spar cuts down much of the reinforcement. A friend and well know mechanic and SC expert in the NW, built his SP 40 years ago on a field approval without spar reinforcement, he never trusted it in turbulence and would not sell it since he felt it was unsafe.

I read somewhere that the aluminum struts are approved only to 1800 lbs. My Super Pacer has a 2100 gw. Being experimental you can ignore all of this but, you want to be safe. The aluminum struts would be simple.

I had Airframes make my struts and leave the upper end open, they also provided all the pieces to finish it. They also instructed me on how to make them sealed.
    Stephen,

I too am building wings right now for my experimental super pacer. This is kind of an eye-opener. Do you have any documentation on the reinforcement needed?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swimaway View Post
    Stephen,

I too am building wings right now for my experimental super pacer. This is kind of an eye-opener. Do you have any documentation on the reinforcement needed?
    The plans are too big to copy and that would infringe on the owner of the plans. But, I have posted pictures of my build, including photos of the reinforcement. It is an expansion of the approved Piper splice. The plates are on both sides of the spar and are about 3 feet long. Since the splice is just outboard of the lift strut attachment it serves both to reinforce the splice and the lift strut area. I believe it is .060 or a bit thicker. There are three layers, each layer slightly shorter. You can find info about the Piper approved spice on this site. I think common sense works for this. You can PM me with your ideas, and I will comment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    The plans are too big to copy and that would infringe on the owner of the plans. But, I have posted pictures of my build, including photos of the reinforcement. It is an expansion of the approved Piper splice. The plates are on both sides of the spar and are about 3 feet long. Since the splice is just outboard of the lift strut attachment it serves both to reinforce the splice and the lift strut area. I believe it is .060 or a bit thicker. There are three layers, each layer slightly shorter. You can find info about the Piper approved spice on this site. I think common sense works for this. You can PM me with your ideas, and I will comment.
    Who has the plans? I will just buy a set

Post Thanks / Like

James Smith james@skicarstunt.com He may not be willing to sell them for experimental projects.

106.jpg109.jpg110.jpg

Here are some pictures of my project. The first is all the reinforcement material that I cut out as per the plans. The last picture shows the doubling of the compression struts and drag wires. I believe these are the key elements to the wing reinforcement.
    Last edited by Stephen; 08-10-2022 at 11:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

could you use bearhawk 4 place spars and just mod the rib distance ?