Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tragic Midair at Watsonville KWVI Yesterday

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tragic Midair at Watsonville KWVI Yesterday

I use radio, ADSB-in and most importantly my clear windshield. In our area we have over 12 nearby airports all using the same CTAF. On a clear weekend it can drive one nuts from all the radio chatter while trying to announce position. I particularly hate unnecessary calls such as: "Is anyone in the pattern" (just look and listen), "clear of the active" (uncontrolled airports don't have an active and anyone on final can see that it is clear), "I'm ten miles out, I'm five miles out, I'm on a 3 mile 45, I'm down wind, I'm base, I'm final, I'm short final" (this may be nice, IF THERE IS NOT 20 OTHER PLANES TRYING TO USE THE SAME CTAF). Use the windshield......

Also, I do not do straight in approaches if anyone is in the pattern.
    Last edited by Stephen; 08-23-2022 at 09:15 AM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

AOPA released an early analysis video of this accident which I found informative:

KWVI Mid Air AT Monterey Bay BETWEEN A Cessna 152 AND A CESSNA 340 - AOPA
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

had the same scenairo at a controlled airport. on 2 mile base ---- look right and left--- see a twin cessna about 500 feet below me going like a bat outta hell doing a straight in--- the tower never told us he was in the pattern. Part of the problem was that the tower guys were not FAA employees--- the airport was owned by the county and had private controllers--- they had a reputation for being ass-wipes.
    Fortunately we saw him----- and he was apparently doing a rather flat approach -- he must have been 300 or 400 feet.
    completely non-standard approach.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA-16 View Post
    I am curious if they turned their radios off and used there eyes more if this would have been avoided
    Not a lot helps after they turn their egos on and brains off.