Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Wassmer 51A

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wassmer 51A

Seven years ago I bought a 1974 Wassmer 51A. I restored it deep down to the very last screw, including new paint, interrior, full IFR equipment, etc. If somebody is interested in the restoration report:

http://www.drgaida.de/DEHJV/EHJV.pdf

The plane had less than 900hrs when I bought it. Now, 500hrs later, we are still good friends. The good thing, it was owned by one person for the first 35years. He did not fly much, but took care of the lady. I guess he died, but then she was owned by people who gave a $#!t on maintenance and the plane was in very bad condition. In fact I was surpised it was still flying.

I managed it, to get more than 40kg of weight out of the plane. The empty mass is now 592kg, MTOW 1040kg. Gives 448kg payload, something like 900lbs. Because it is the first manufacturer who built glass fibre planes in series, I had no issues with corrosion of the fuselage.

IMG_4278.JPGIMG_7068.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wassmer 51A

Very nice, looks like that was a very deep restoration.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wassmer 51A

Yes,

I replaced everything what wasn´t as new. Magnetos, carburetor, one piston and cylinder, almost the complete avionics. Added IFR, autopilot (including automatic IFR landing capability), music, etc...IMG_5747.JPG