Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can I still get the metallized STC?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Can I still get the metallized STC?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I’ve always been curious if it would be acceptable to install the VG’s on my metalized wings, and was the reason I asked. My gut says not a good idea to add a modification on top of an existing modification. Best case I think would be the location of a few of the micro VGs might land directly on top of a rivet head or skin over lap seam and force you to move a few left or right a half inch of the designated location of the paper template. Would the shift in location of a few VGs affect performance or flight behavior. I really doubt it but some would argue this would be a deviation to the STC, and thus not approved.
    The STC addresses this which normally applies to the landing light. You move them in pairs.

Post Thanks / Like

Could be no interfering rivets or a lot depending on how far back from the leading edge the VGs are located. Are the Micro VG installation documents posted anywhere to easily download?

FFF588B5-FAD4-432B-99F2-582AF969ED0C.jpeg
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They are forward of the spar., I will get a picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Could be no interfering rivets or a lot depending on how far back from the leading edge the VGs are located. Are the Micro VG installation documents posted anywhere to easily download?

FFF588B5-FAD4-432B-99F2-582AF969ED0C.jpeg

They will be forward of the rivet line. Most installation instructions deal with a % of mean cord. This can be measured 100 different ways and come up with 99 different layouts (say +or- a half inch). I had to tweak spacing a little because of the landing light lens but I just fudged it the same on both wings as Steve said above.
    Why would it not be acceptable to put them on your metalized wing?? They are installed on a lot of metal wings all across the world. Put them under the horizontal too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think you will have a problem.
    PXL_20221210_172255655.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-06 at 10.05.39 AM (2022_02_19 23_29_37 UTC).jpegMy two cents:

I had the metal on mine and flew it for a little over a year. During annual found a bunch of the cabin corrosion and had to start removing panels. The corrosion wasn't terrible, but enough for my OCD self to start tearing the whole plane apart so I can begin my restoration. I want to and intend to go back to fabric, but I do have the STC. regarding the drawings and procedure, I would have to dig, and will if someone reminds me this weekend. I also have the W&B, etc. Frankly, I think it looked just about the same as a fabric PA-22 150. It flew wonderful and very straight. I don't feel and true loss other than maybe a few knots airspeed.

It's gonna take some effort to get it back to fabric. I will be learning to weld all the tabs that had to be ground off for the stringers back on. IF your plane is out in the rain at all, the screws and rivets all over it allow for small places for water and condensation to find it's way in. Keep that in mind as you decide your path.

Also, I have the metalized wings that I would rather not take the metal off at 1st. I haven't done the research yet to determine if the fuselage can be fabric and the wings metal... or visa versa, for that matter.

Regardless, as soon as I finish this damn boat project, the Tri comes down from the shop ceiling and I'll start back into it.

Let me know if there's anything you might want from me regarding paperwork that you think I may have. Be happy to share it!

-Chris
    NorCal

Post Thanks / Like

Chris, you may be the last Mohican when it comes to that paperwork! I would LOVE to get copies of any & all paperwork, drawings, etc. that you might have, for future reference if nothing else. I'm sure there are others who'd also love to have access to those records. And, I'd be very willing to pay for your time & expenses to get them!

As far as metal on the wings only, I'm sure I read about someone -- perhaps on this forum-- who had metal only on the wings and apparently had no issues.

Walt

Post Thanks / Like

About half the planes Al did were wings only. My 20 was full metal by Al and then the wings were changed when the 320 was put on and my wings are fabric.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome!! I'm hoping the STC I have allows for that and it's not for the whole airplane rather than wing only. Thanks for that. I'm encouraged!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You cannot remove just part of an STC. You need to remove an STC in its entirety unless a pathway to its modification is available. If the Metallizing STC covers each component such as left wing, right wing, fuselage individually, no problem. Just return the component to its original TDCS or properly modified condition. Most STC’s also have the caveat that the installer must consider the interaction with other modifications. One metalized wing and one rag wing would probably require a flight test regimen. I would check with the STC holder to determine if VG’s would be legal on a metal wing if that configuration was not part of the original or modified STC.
    N2709P