Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Can I still get the metallized STC?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can I still get the metallized STC?

The owner of the above airplane cut the the attachments and slid the whole fuselage cover off after removing the horizontal. He had it sitting in hid backyard like a big aluminum ice cream cone.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Valuable information

Post Thanks / Like

Any luck finding your paperwork? I did not get the paperwork for my PA22-160 conversion other than a logbook entry "Recovered in accordance with STC SA-1-282, 325, 327." That last number may be 322. If you find the documents I would love to have a copy. There may be three STCs that could be separated to allow one to keep the wings as they are with a fabric fuselage.
    LOG'69.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by N8772D-Chris View Post
    I had the metal on mine and flew it for a little over a year. During annual found a bunch of the cabin corrosion and had to start removing panels. The corrosion wasn't terrible, but enough for my OCD self to start tearing the whole plane apart so I can begin my restoration. I want to and intend to go back to fabric, but I do have the STC. regarding the drawings and procedure, I would have to dig, and will if someone reminds me this weekend. I also have the W&B, etc. Frankly, I think it looked just about the same as a fabric PA-22 150. It flew wonderful and very straight. I don't feel and true loss other than maybe a few knots airspeed.

It's gonna take some effort to get it back to fabric. I will be learning to weld all the tabs that had to be ground off for the stringers back on. IF your plane is out in the rain at all, the screws and rivets all over it allow for small places for water and condensation to find it's way in. Keep that in mind as you decide your path.

Also, I have the metalized wings that I would rather not take the metal off at 1st. I haven't done the research yet to determine if the fuselage can be fabric and the wings metal... or visa versa, for that matter.

Regardless, as soon as I finish this damn boat project, the Tri comes down from the shop ceiling and I'll start back into it.

Let me know if there's anything you might want from me regarding paperwork that you think I may have. Be happy to share it!

-Chris
    NorCal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bingman.bill View Post
    Any luck finding your paperwork? I did not get the paperwork for my PA22-160 conversion other than a logbook entry "Recovered in accordance with STC SA-1-282, 325, 327." That last number may be 322. If you find the documents I would love to have a copy. There may be three STCs that could be separated to allow one to keep the wings as they are with a fabric fuselage.
    LOG'69.jpg
    I did a quick run through the FAA site https://drs.faa.gov/browse/STC/doctypeDetails and those are three separate STCs. The -325 and -327 have the specific parts listed, -282 doesn't list parts. Reissued as late as 2007 or so, the address is in Medford, MA. Good luck with the hunt!
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

As I recall with the PA-22-160 I had along with the sheet metal skin the entire fuselage frame was also “metalized” with an aluminum metalizing spray to help prevent corrosion. Read up on thermal arc spray. Not sure if that was a requirement prior to the sheet metal cover as part of the STC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk