Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spar reinforcement / exp. Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spar reinforcement / exp. Pacer

Hi all,
    Building an experimental stretched Pacer. Fuselage repairs and mods complete, primed and painted and on her gear. Looking for information on spars. I received wing materials with this project, Carlson spars , ribs etc.
    Question is if I want to achieve 2100, 2200 gross weight what if any reinforcing I need to add to spars?
    I have Blanton plans so I'm aware of how that's done but looking for more up to date methods if possible.
    Thanks ,

TW

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spar reinforcement / exp. Pacer

To clarify, I'm referring to pa18 wing building for this pacer.
    Tw

Post Thanks / Like

The STC calls for a number of wing reinforcement. Not just the spars. You can see most of the reinforcement if you look back at the pictures I posted here a few years ago. The PA 18 wing does not have the same reinforcement. Try and get a look at a certified stretched Pacer. Don't skimp.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Stephen, I found pictures of mods to your plane. It seems those reference adding to an existing short wing. Spar splicing, reinforcing etc. To be clear, I'm starting from scratch. I have a set of 2+2 plans with a wing for 2200 gw but all wood as I'm sure you know. I'm hoping to stay with the aluminum parts I have if possible, thanks again,

TW

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I will have to look for pictures of the Dakota Cub Super 18 wing. It has doublers on the spar web at the strut attach fittings and solid aluminum blocks at the wing attach unlike the Piper parts.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve, that would be awesome.
    Tw

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Can't find any good pictures but here is what I have.
    Rear spar doubler.
    103_8661.JPG

You can see the front spar doubler a little bit and the row of rivets for the front of the rear spar doubler.
    103_8662.JPG

103_8663.JPG

The wing attach blocks. Piper's did not pass the 2300 lb gross weight that Dakota Cub took their Super 18 wing up to.
    103_8664.JPG

You can blow this up and see the doubler. These are the Super 20 Dakota Cub Slotted Wings.
    103_8665.JPG

101_8655.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoatRoper View Post
    Thanks Stephen, I found pictures of mods to your plane. It seems those reference adding to an existing short wing. Spar splicing, reinforcing etc. To be clear, I'm starting from scratch. I have a set of 2+2 plans with a wing for 2200 gw but all wood as I'm sure you know. I'm hoping to stay with the aluminum parts I have if possible, thanks again,

TW
    People think putting in a new full length spar is stronger than splicing on an extension. The STC calls for the same reinforcement either way. The reinforcement to the web straddles the strut attachment point it is extensive and extends 3 or 4 feet. It is layered and shaped to avoid stress points. The other reinforcement is a doubled drag wire set up near the wing tip, increased ribs and compression struts and a stronger leading edge. Other spar strengthening occurs for the new jury struts.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both, very helpful. I will continue to research this with help from the wagaero faithful too , as I am based 3 miles from them and our home airport has very good knowledgeable builders and several wag products. I may end up just following the 2plus2 plans I have also.
    Thanks guys.
    TW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoatRoper View Post
    Thank you both, very helpful. I will continue to research this with help from the wagaero faithful too , as I am based 3 miles from them and our home airport has very good knowledgeable builders and several wag products. I may end up just following the 2plus2 plans I have also.
    Thanks guys.
    TW
    Good luck. Let us know how your project goes and post pictures.