Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spar reinforcement / exp. Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spar reinforcement / exp. Pacer

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Aero View Post
    There are other ways to do this rather than double wires. They are just to keep the wing from twisting with the ailerons moved out to the tip.
    I’m working on this right now with my wings, what are some other ways to keep the wing from twisting? I’m not able to double up drag wires without moving ribs around on my wing.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple ways ............You can use an N strut similar to what is at the strut attach fitting or something like in this pic. Co-locate structure with the last hinge point. It transfers the rear spar "twisting" forces to the front spar.

IMG_3096.jpgIMG_3097.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

A couple ways ............You can use an N strut similar to what is at the strut attach fitting or something like in this pic. Co-locate structure with the last hinge point. It transfers the rear spar "twisting" forces to the front spar.

IMG_3096.jpgIMG_3097.jpg
    Thank you for the photos, I planned to do it similar to what you did. The N strut is a great idea as well!

Post Thanks / Like

IMG_3096.jpgIMG_3097.jpg
    What are you using for drag wires in between the compression struts? In the picture it looks like tubing rather than a wire.
    Also what is the drag wire anchored on since there is no compression strut out the outboard end of the drag wire connection to the spar?
    BIG rear door in the fuselage. Is the vertical tube where the flap cable goes up the back of the baggage area removed and truss built around the opening?
    AL

AL

Post Thanks / Like

Al

The first bay has the drag tube same as a Super Cub. The next 2 bays are #10 wires. The spars are 15" longer than the original spar length ........ so still a "short wing" ............The small tube at the end is a short drag brace from the last set of wires to almost the tip rib that's not yet installed. Not much drag at the tip. No tip bow just a Hoerner type tip. Flap controls are all over head. The rear doors are patterned after the Maule, I just put them on the left "port" side.