Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Possible Rudder Airworthiness Directive

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Possible Rudder Airworthiness Directive

The Department of Transportation (FAA) has Administrative Law Judges you appeal to if you contest the FAA ruling on a violation. About 98% the they rule against the suspected miscreant.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 02-18-2024 at 08:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of rudder availability, I was under the impression that the PA-20 and 22 share the same rudder at the PA-18. Is it legal to use the Airframes Alaska PA-18 rudder on our shortwings? Given the seemingly real possibility that the FAA is going to move forward with this, I'd rather get my rudder on order now and be done with it. I'm fortunate enough to have an A&P in the area that has a good reputation with fabric aircraft so I can learn the covering process from him and have this ready to go come next annual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Same part number.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I guess I can open my mouth now. Two engineers working for the Vintage division of EAA came to my hangar and we went over this rudder issue. I showed them my fix and they were skeptical as was the FAA engineer I suggested it to. However when I handed them a 7/8"x .035" was tube and a 3/4"x .035" wall tube they were pleasantly surprised at how tight they fit together. Last conversation I had with them was the possibility of doing some flight tests on my Super Cub and another one I maintain on floats with some instrumentation to see what the forces actually are. Also discussed a simple fixture and pull test with a fish scale or torque wrench as a pre-flight measure. Sharp guys and a lot of experience in aircraft structures. I talked to Steve Caruthers from the Short Wing Piper Club last Sunday as well and it sounds like the FAA has a full plate from engineers, a lawyer and lots of us maintainers and pilots.

Post Thanks / Like