Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Rudder Airworthiness Directive

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Possible Rudder Airworthiness Directive

Quote Originally Posted by grbamford View Post
    Steve,

I really do appreciate the effort you put into keeping us informed. How would I go about determining if this affects me, either by paperwork, serial number or visual inspection of my rudder?

R/
    Greg
    early rudders made from 1025 mild steel were the effected rudders, not the rudders made from 4130 chrome-moly steel that Piper changed to according to drawing 40622 on June 3, 1974.
    Piper rudders built prior to June 3, 1974.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RRHall View Post
    Other than Univair, who else has rudders for the PA-22?
    "All FAA/PMA'd rudders are4130 chrome-moly. There has been no PMA granted for a mild steel rudder. I contacted Airframes Alaska, F. Atlee Dodge, Dakota Cub and Univair about identifying their rudders in the field if logbook entries were not available. The only one that is identifiable is Dakota Cub, they have a square hole in one side of the steering arm."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Steve! Keeping close watch on this one.

Post Thanks / Like

I posted this on the SuperCub forum as well

All we can do is monitor the Federal Register to see if an NPRM is ever issued. If one comes out we need to get EVERY owner and mechanic that works on fabric Pipers to send in comments. The internal sleeve is likely the best fix for this issue short of buying a new rudder.

Even if an AD is never issued, anytime your rudder is uncovered, do a detailed inspection of it. You can buy an endoscope from Amazon for about $50 or less so you can get inside and look around. Just pushing on the top of the rudder with about 10 lbs of force will give you an idea of the integrity of your rudder.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, not only is dgapilot 100% right, but I would encourage everyone who has an original rudder and has upgraded their horsepower to reinforce it, especially if they are traveling around with a beacon on top adding extra stress. Heck, just reinforce it anyway if you have it uncovered for some reason, even if the AD doesn't happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all! I will advise my A&P of this potential issue. We'll have a close look at 57A's tail post. (She does NOT have a tail beacon)

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the companies (except for Univair) websites say their rudders are PMA'd for the PA-18. I know the rudders on all these planes are essentially the same, but is it going to cause problems for us if everyone owning everything from a PA-12 to a PA-22 has to replace their rudder and once Univair is out of stock all the others are only PMA'd for the PA-18? Has anyone talked to Airframes Alaska and other companies to see if their rudders are or could be easily PMA'd for the rest of the lineup??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RRHall View Post
    Most of the companies (except for Univair) websites say their rudders are PMA'd for the PA-18. I know the rudders on all these planes are essentially the same, but is it going to cause problems for us if everyone owning everything from a PA-12 to a PA-22 has to replace their rudder and once Univair is out of stock all the others are only PMA'd for the PA-18? Has anyone talked to Airframes Alaska and other companies to see if their rudders are or could be easily PMA'd for the rest of the lineup??
    You need to go by part number. Check the part number of the -18 rudder and see if it is the same for the -22 or -12. I know the J3 and PA-16 are different, not sure about the others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve seen more than one Clipper flying around with a J3 rudder. I don’t think the majority of Shortwingers would recognize the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I’ve seen more than one Clipper flying around with a J3 rudder. I don’t think the majority of Shortwingers would recognize the difference.
    and Clipper rudders had the nav light on the top, not in the trailing edge.