Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Rudder Airworthiness Directive

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Possible Rudder Airworthiness Directive

I took a look at my rudder last night, it has been repaired at the top hinge with an internal tube, rosetta welded in, or possibly the top of a rudder spliced on. Just went through the logs, no 337 or logbook entry for this repair. Probably best if I just buy a new rudder at this point I'm thinking.
    rudder1.jpegrudder2.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Haven't heard back from Airframes but Dakota is PMA'd on the PA18. Univair part number U40622-007 is PMA'd on the PA18, 20 and 22 with a tube for a top beacon and a nav light bezel in the trailing edge tube. Univair U40622-000 has a post on top for the old Grimes nav light and is PMA'd for the J-5C, PA12, 14, 15, 16 and 17. Univair U40622-008 is PMA'd for the PA18, 20 and 22 and has no provisions for any kind of nav ligh nor strobe. Atlee Dodge/Univair U15726-002 is PMA'd for PA18 serial number 18-7509123 and up which is a 1975 model and has the big beacon mount on top and the nav light bezel in the trailing edge tube.

Per my email exchange with the owner of Dakota Cub, he is talking to the MIDO about adding the other models. As usual it takes a lot of paperwork.

Myself personally have no issue installing any of them since they are all the same part number and meet the same drawing but some legal eagle might want to challenge this to which I would pull out AC23-27 Substitution of Parts on Aging Aircraft.

On a side note I have a conference call scheduled with AOPA on this matter tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully the AD never materializes. I need to check my logbooks and take a good look at the rudder on my plane. It went on it's back in 1985 and I don't remember if the rudder was replaced or repaired at that time or not. If it was replaced it likely was with a 4130 rudder.
    I imagine for a lot of people it won't be so much an issue with the FAA as with getting an IA to sign off the 337. It will be a major repair / alteration. If you are substituting a part number for a rudder that is not PMA'd for your plane some may have a hard time getting it signed off. Then there will be the inevitable wait for parts.

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose one quick thing to try is to search the NTSB and see if your plane has a record of an accident or incident.
    If a record shows it was involved in a flip over or roof collapse, etc, you may have some useful info.
    The search is not definitive (only goes back to 1983) but its free to check!

https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-main-public/basic-search

Aviation Investigation Fields
    Data available from 1983 and later

Aircraft registration number:
    N1234A

Aircraft category:
    Airplane

FAR part:
    Part 91: General aviation
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the Univair FAA/PMA U40622-000 made out of 4130 that works on my PA-17 Vagabond:

https://www.univair.com/piper/piper-...bly-uncovered/

Here's J3 and Vagabond rudders where they were covered at a shop in South Carolina:

Last edited by rideandfly; 03-10-2023 at 09:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So I experimented with two rudders this morning. One was an old Univair 4130 rudder which was TIG welded when manufactured and the other was an original mid 50s rudder of a Pacer which would have been oxy/acetylene welded . I used a piece of 3/4" OD x .049" wall 4130 tubing as a sleeve. It slid right into the 4130 TIG welded rudder. On the old Pacer rudder I shot some Corrosion X inside the rudder tube and some grease on the 4130 liner tub and lightly taped the tube in all the way to the top of the rudder as my daughter held the rudder. Nice and tight and I can remove it if I needed to. I don't see the two tubes working inside one another and wearing like I was told by an engineer that wanted to see rosette welds to make the two tubes one.

Per my conversation with folks at AOPA today I am seeking ideas for an AMOC (alternate means of compliance) if and when the NPRM (notice of proposed rulemaking) comes out for an AD on this.

I have also requested the accident/incident reports on the 12 rudder cracks that the FAA has identified to see if these were all 1025 steel rudders and if all had rotating beacons installed.

PXL_20230310_142126004.jpg

PXL_20230310_142129290.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Steve,

Did you have to do anything to hone or cleanup the inside of the old 1025 tube?

Also; it appears you're using a full length 4130 tube sleeve. Do you leave a little stub sticking out the bottom, so as to aid removal if needed? How do you plan to remove it if needed? Seems to me it could rust in place.

Thanks for your help with all of this. I'm going to upgrade my membership to Shortwingpipers.org.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just happened to have a 6 foot piece of 3/4" tubing handy and used it to see if the idea was feasible. I applied Corrosion X to the inside of the rudder and some grease on the tube and tapped it in. Didn't do any honing, deburring or anything. It slid in with light taps and I can twist and pull it out as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Steve, would this potentially still apply even if the aircraft had a documented complete restoration along with photos of the rudder tubing, painting, and recovering? Wondering if that could be considered an alternate means of compliance for folks who have already restored their PA-22/20/18 etc.

Post Thanks / Like

David, I think the problem with that is it doesnt prove the replaced rudder as new or from from salvage. I have the same situation on mine. It landed on its tail. Frame straightend/repaired. No mention of the rudder in logs but assume it had to have been replaced. I also have pics of the complete frame, primed and ready to go.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk