Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PA-12 Wings

Post Thanks / Like

Post PA-12 Wings

Hey all,

I'm in the process of building an experimental pacer. Fuselage has been stretched, we're now onto the wings. As luck would have it, I have a set of wings from an experimental PA-12 sitting in my hangar. They're "stock" PA-12 wings, they just have flaps, and were built for an experimental project that my friend ultimately couldn't get off the ground due to fuselage issues. Again, never were on a certified plane.

What would it take (not the paperwork, the physical work) to get these to bolt to the stretch pacer. I ask, because I vaguely remember that the producer essentially uses PA-14 wings. Which, again (it's been a while) I believe are just PA-12 wings with flaps.

Am I missing something here?

I'm trying to see if these would be a viable option because most of the other options (Univair, D&E, and Dakota) are really backlogged.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: PA-12 Wings

They will bolt right on. Controls will be different but should be adaptable. Not sure if you will have to build custom struts or not.

You are right on Steve Bryant's Producer and the PA14 wings. I have flown that airplane and it flies very nice and really preforms.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve, that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

The struts are slightly different ................ longer than SC. I have all the parts if you wanted to go with all aluminum struts. Airframes used to sell the SC type struts with the top end left unfinished for the stretched Pacer guys, but looks like they are not selling steel struts anymore ( I read someplace). Might be worth a call tho, maybe they have some material left.

Those 12 wings will fit perfect but you need to reinforce the spars at the strut attach points for higher gross. This has been done several ways, can help you there too

https://www.facebook.com/groups/stretchedpacer

Post Thanks / Like

I would avoid struts that are welded together at the lower end (which are part of the Super Pacer STC, I don't know what the Producer does). You can use chrome moly for the aft strut and meet load requirements. Plus you don't give up the ability to adjust both struts. Aluminum is even a stronger option for struts and much easier to deal with......no welding.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."