Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Aircraft Replacement & Modification Article

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Vintage Aircraft Replacement & Modification Article

I think this is going to be approved by the group in Chicago not the local FSDO.

Post Thanks / Like

That’s what it looks like to me also. I guess we will have to wait and see how things move through their office.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I think this is going to be approved by the group in Chicago not the local FSDO.
    Scott Forhman is the guy behind all of this. He came to the WI IA seminar this spring and explained the process. I just submitted my first request for a LOA.

Replace the old nav light/cockpit flood with the new solid state Seaton engineering SWP microdim. Let you know how it goes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 03-04-2024 at 09:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    I agree with Scott. Getting a field approval via my local FSDO is non existent. I don’t see them being any responsive to a VARMA letter.
    Be nice if they would give a little more authority to the IA and let him make the determination. I find it annoying how they don’t want responsibility yet are reluctant to relinquish authority.
    Field Approvals from the FSDO are likely a thing of the past for most FSDOs. Getting them from DARs will be the way of the future. It will take a little more work as DARs have to document all Field Approvals as shown in AC43-210A Not really hard, just takes some time. I do quite a few and unfortunately I get backed up and don't get them out as fast as I like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post
    Scott Forhman is the guy behind all of this. He came to the WI IA seminar this spring and explained the process. I just submitted my first request for a LOA.

Replace the old nav light/cockpit flood with the new solid state Seaton engineering SWP microdim. Let you know how it goes.
    I look forward to hearing how it goes. That is a way better dimmer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post

Replace the old nav light/cockpit flood with the new solid state Seaton engineering SWP microdim. Let you know how it goes
    Looks like most of the eastern USA is under water... what map is that?

Post Thanks / Like

What’s the latest on the new dimmer switch?

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing yet. It took 3 months to get my DME application returned because I missed checking a box. Once I checked the box it took another 9 months to approve it.

Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Just forget getting field approvals from the FSDO. Go with a DAR for your field approvals. Just remember they have to follow the AFS-300 job aid as far as what is capable of being field approved. Granted, A DAR isn’t free, but will likely get what you need. That said AC23-27 has to be one of the most confusing ACs. In one place it says it is approved data, in another it says the data can be used to obtain a field approval!

Post Thanks / Like

So is VARMA just as bad as the field approval process ? It sounds like it. The DAR is likely the only effective route in this day and age I guess. I was very hopeful for the VARMA pathway.