Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PA-16 Bushmaster fuselage

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-16 Bushmaster fuselage

I recently acquired a PA-16 converted Bushmaster fuselage. The project came to me from an old friend and pilot who purchased the modified fuselage a few years ago from an A&P in MN. I have tried to contact the mechanic in hopes of acquiring his drawings but I'm unable to reach him. Does someone have a set of Bushmaster drawings I can purchase? Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-16 Bushmaster fuselage

James Smith has the STC and drawing. You can do a search on this site and get the information. I don't think the 16 is covered in the STC.....yet. If you are going experimental there is lots of information about that choice on this site. Plans for experimental might be more difficult to acquire. You basically need to find out how to lengthen and reinforce the wing. The stretch Pacers are usually called Super Pacers or Stretched Pacer.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-16 Bushmaster fuselage

A number of tubes in the PA-16 fuselage are smaller than the PA-20 or PA-22. One of the reasons for only 1650 gross weight. You might want to do a comparison before you start cutting. If you plan on flaps, the PA-16 didn’t have any and the PA-22 system won’t work as the stick controls are where the flap controls would go. Aileron cables go up the struts like a SuperCub, not inside the wings like a PA-22. Gear is totally different with lighter tubing. Lots of differences that would need to be sorted out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dgapilot; 04-23-2023 at 07:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    A number of tubes in the PA-16 fuselage are smaller than the PA-20 or PA-22. One of the reasons for only 1650 gross weight. You might want to do a comparison before you start cutting. If you plan on flaps, the PA-16 didn’t have any and the PA-22 system won’t work as the stick controls are where the flap controls would go. Aileron cables go up the struts like a SuperCub, not inside the wings like a PA-22. Gear is totally different with lighter tubing. Lots of differences that would need to be sorted out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If it is experimental, I would run the flap cables forward and have an overhead flap handle. Remove the headliner and install a skylight. Then offset the trim. It should be easy and save weight. I think his fuselage is stretched already and he has a landing gear modification. I agree the fuselage should be evaluated for loads, especially the landing gear attachment tubes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    If it is experimental, I would run the flap cables forward and have an overhead flap handle. Remove the headliner and install a skylight. Then offset the trim. It should be easy and save weight. I think his fuselage is stretched already and he has a landing gear modification. I agree the fuselage should be evaluated for loads, especially the landing gear attachment tubes.
    For the landing gear I would do the Trimmer SC gear rather than keep the Clipper gear. The truss for the gear is where 2 of the tubes are smaller, for my GW STC they are being replaced to match the PA-20/22 truss. The tube aft of the rear seat is also being replaced with same size as the PA-22 but that is for possible future float installation. Aft fuselage is fine as is. The Clipper was only a 1650 gross airplane. All the higher gross airplanes have the Z channel welded in the forward struts. I'm modifying forward PA-22 struts for my GW increase on the PA-16. On mine I'm only going to 1750. The PA-20 and PA-22 have larger doublers/reinforcements art the spar/strut attach. Depending on what wings, hopefully the drawings show adequate reinforcement there if he starts with Clipper wings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    If it is experimental, I would run the flap cables forward and have an overhead flap handle.
    Luscombe and Cub Crafters use a torque at the flap handle across he top of the fuselage with bell cranks running rods through the wing roots back to the flaps. Eliminates cables and is pretty clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    For the landing gear I would do the Trimmer SC gear rather than keep the Clipper gear. The truss for the gear is where 2 of the tubes are smaller, for my GW STC they are being replaced to match the PA-20/22 truss. The tube aft of the rear seat is also being replaced with same size as the PA-22 but that is for possible future float installation. Aft fuselage is fine as is. The Clipper was only a 1650 gross airplane. All the higher gross airplanes have the Z channel welded in the forward struts. I'm modifying forward PA-22 struts for my GW increase on the PA-16. On mine I'm only going to 1750. The PA-20 and PA-22 have larger doublers/reinforcements art the spar/strut attach. Depending on what wings, hopefully the drawings show adequate reinforcement there if he starts with Clipper wings.
    In the Trimmer STC, you get to beef up the front attachment cross member and the left side vertical post in the PA 22.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Garry B View Post
    I recently acquired a PA-16 converted Bushmaster fuselage. The project came to me from an old friend and pilot who purchased the modified fuselage a few years ago from an A&P in MN. I have tried to contact the mechanic in hopes of acquiring his drawings but I'm unable to reach him. Does someone have a set of Bushmaster drawings I can purchase? Thank you.
    Thank you for your responses. I'm wondering if anyone knows of the builder - Dean Christanson from International Falls, MN. And I believe he is an A&P. I have been unsuccessful in contacting him.