Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2023 SWP Gathering

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oshkosh 2023 SWP Gathering

I'm planning to go again this year as well.

Based on what several Vintage Assn flight line volunteers went out of there way to tell me last year, (at least five different scooter guys told me this), Vintage will not be allowing staking out and reserving camping spots starting this year 2023, as they have in the past.

Possibly someone on this list who has a good connection with one of the Vintage officials can confirm that is true?

I plan to arrive early evening on Wednesday the 19th. Based on what I've seen in recent years this is about the last day to get a good spot on the East end of row 65W or 66W and close to the Hangar Café and shower trailers where I prefer to camp. By Thursday arrivals are quickly taking these close in spots.

I also noticed last year while hanging out day after day in that area, that Vintage aircraft arriving after about 6:30PM and later on up until dark around 8:30PM are free to taxi around the grass and park in any available empty spot, (outside of the designated Antique rows of course), as the scooter guys have either gone to the Vintage dinner buffet or headed home by that time of the evening.

I prefer the option to tie down the plane and set up camp in the cool evening hours instead of the heat of the afternoon.

Hope to see a lot of you there again this year!
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian; 06-15-2023 at 05:21 PM.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am curious about this Brian because the EAA makes a lot of money renting those places early. We will see you there.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy a C195. They have reserved rows every year. Money does wonders.

Remember last year? Signs on every row, tie downs or stakes will be removed if no aircraft is present.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 06-16-2023 at 08:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
    Let's see. From KPOU to N38, 4G1, TDZ, BIV, over the lake for 100sm to 57C then on to OSH.
    Hopefully all that cold water would convince you to stay south. In 2021 we went 44N-LHV-62D-DFI-JOT-DLL-OSH, 12.6 but got lucky with the weather if not the smoke.

Last year it was 9 legs and two weather diverts to Hastings NE and eventually Blakesburg. Fun though...

20220827 icl wx dla.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mholton63 View Post
    I'm hoping to have my Tri-Pacer ready this year for Oshkosh 2023. Does anyone know if there will be a gathering of Short Wing Pipers in the area?
    As of June 16th 2023 N3320Z is officially complete.IMG_2980.jpeg
    That said I will be at Oshkosh Saturday thru Thursday.

Post Thanks / Like

As of June 16th 2023 N3320Z is officially complete.
    Looks great! Nice Restoration! Can't wait to see it at OSH!
    Brian

Photo from OSH 2006 SW Group Flight. Flew in together and parked together. We did that arrival several years in a row.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As of June 16th 2023 N3320Z is officially complete.
    IMG_2980.jpeg
    Congrats. See you there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue44 View Post
    Hopefully all that cold water would convince you to stay south. In 2021 we went 44N-LHV-62D-DFI-JOT-DLL-OSH, 12.6 but got lucky with the weather if not the smoke.

Last year it was 9 legs and two weather diverts to Hastings NE and eventually Blakesburg. Fun though...

20220827 icl wx dla.JPG
    We do 6b4 kmbs osh in the RV8, eastbound osh 6b4 My buddy in his Kitfox does 6b4 kiag kmbs osh. Never have had a problem with the Canadian over flight. Mostly friendly folks ehh. And we cross Michigan at the narrowest spot. At 10K we are only 10 minutes when out of gliding to dry land. Not sure I would want to take off from BIV on the edge of the lake. I like to be at altitude, all trimmed up, leaned out and don't touch a thing for 60 miles.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Typically fly in mid week and have had some luck with parking in Vintage. Have seen that they've pushed a lot of planes to the south 40 though. Was thinking of flying in Sunday/Monday through Thursday. Any tips/advice on Vintage parking arriving that early? Seems like people make the race early in the weekend, then the place opens up a bit on Wednesday.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

I requested my free copy of the arrival Notam today.
    I plan to get there prior to the start of the Notam arrival but good to have a copy in case I'm delayed.
    Yes you can download it in PDF and print it out for sure, but I find having the little book size copy to be handy in the cockpit.
    Plus its free FOR EAA members.

Request a copy from this link if you need one:

https://www.eaa.org/apps/airventure/...m_request.aspx

A few more OSH photos from the past below. These from 2003 which I believe was the first year I took part in a group arrival. We gathered at Hartford HXF and flew in as a group. This the one and only OSH my wife attended. She's ok with the long flight but not the porta potties!!
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA