Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Oshkosh 2023 SWP Gathering

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oshkosh 2023 SWP Gathering

It was great to meet so many short wingers and to share stories about flying. The Tri-Pacer at AOPA was a sub for the Beech Staggerwing but it stole the show! Had to stay until the end of the Sunday airshow then hightailed it south and east toward Maryland.

Flew the Chicago VFR flyway and it was super cool! ATC/flight following was very helpful. Made to a planned stop at Grimes Field after dodging two pop up storms. Filled up with self-service after sunset but wasn’t quick enough tieing down and the storms caught up with me at Grimes.

Ripped the airplane cover out of my hands, drenched me, my clothes bag, and camera bag, just a mess. Unfortunately the FBO is closed Sundays and no Uber or taxi service either. A scooter would’ve been nice but I hoofed it on foot to the only place around, the 19 Motel. (NOT recommended!)

My first clue was a $10 key deposit. Second clue, peeling wallpaper in an office with a glass partition and a speaker grill to communicate. Third clue, sandpaper is softer than the towels, sheets with holes, chair with stains. And it gets better but I was thoroughly soaked and glad to be out of the rain!

Today coffee down the street on the walk back to the historic Urbana, Ohio, airfield then a pleasant flight to Frederick, MD, with a slight tailwind. Of course I immediately broke my right nav light lens trying to install a new LED light purcha$ed at OSH and had to order another … Grimes … green glass lens from Spruce. Should’ve stocked up while there!

IMG_2137.jpeg
    Last edited by DavidT; 08-01-2023 at 01:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good to meet you Greg, you guys are making memories. This was the first Oshkosh my 19 year old son has missed since he was born. His new job interfered. Sorry I didn't get to meet you David, did get to see your plane.

Dodged this storm around Kansas City on Saturday morning. After putting in the wrong identifier and not realizing it until I went a ways west I had to stop for fuel before them. Kirksville MO was a good stop. They were fixing burgers on the grill. I got around the cell but couldn't raise my Super cub friends. Finally got a text past Cushing OK. They had landed at Boonville MO, got gas and while they were using the facilities the gust front came through. His airplane was gone when they came out, found under a derelict Cessna. Luckily she had set her parking brake and hers was fine. they got his in a hangar and reloaded and flew hers home. Unfortunately neither brought a back seat so they had to use a sleeping bag. They got home just at dark around 9:30. Doing some maintenance on the trailer and we will be making a 9 hour road trip to retrieve it. We are all sick but hopefully relaying this story will spare someone else the same fate.
    PXL_20230729_172513352.jpg

PXL_20230729_172559774.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Good to meet you Greg, you guys are making memories. This was the first Oshkosh my 19 year old son has missed since he was born. His new job interfered. Sorry I didn't get to meet you David, did get to see your plane.

Dodged this storm around Kansas City on Saturday morning. After putting in the wrong identifier and not realizing it until I went a ways west I had to stop for fuel before them. Kirksville MO was a good stop. They were fixing burgers on the grill. I got around the cell but couldn't raise my Super cub friends. Finally got a text past Cushing OK. They had landed at Boonville MO, got gas and while they were using the facilities the gust front came through. His airplane was gone when they came out, found under a derelict Cessna. Luckily she had set her parking brake and hers was fine. they got his in a hangar and reloaded and flew hers home. Unfortunately neither brought a back seat so they had to use a sleeping bag. They got home just at dark around 9:30. Doing some maintenance on the trailer and we will be making a 9 hour road trip to retrieve it. We are all sick but hopefully relaying this story will spare someone else the same fate.
    PXL_20230729_172513352.jpg

PXL_20230729_172559774.jpg
    Sorry to hear about Tony’s Cub. I hope not too much damage. It was nice meeting them again. Last time I met them was at Hidden Splendor in Utah. Small world when you fly a short wing Piper.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Greg, I enjoyed brushing our teeth together (LOL). I came by your camp, but only one of your sons was there. Such a great adventure to do with your kids. They will always remember it.
    One thing I enjoy at OSH and S&F is to just sit under the wing and let the day go by. Sometimes I pull out my guitar and sit under the wing playing some tunes. A good way to meet a lot of new people. Of course there are some who speed up to get away from the noise.

Here is a video I just finished editing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AMN4ZpyG0Q&t=1s

See you all next year at S&F and/or OSH.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I forgot to mention, this was the first time I got to use the sun shade Donn (Blue44) sent me and it worked great. Kept the dash way cool.
    PXL_20230722_121817374.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I forgot to mention, this was the first time I got to use the sun shade Donn (Blue44) sent me and it worked great. Kept the dash way cool.
    I have a pre-production set for the PA-15/16/17 for the asking, not perfect but a nice fit and fully functional. I could estimate shipping if anyone's interested...

Post Thanks / Like

I agree OSHKOSH is what you make of it. It was an adventure. I too enjoyed seeing/meeting people and shortwingers and talking to vendors about new technologies. The LSA aircraft are interesting, for their low fuel burn rates, but I'm not impressed by their Useful Load numbers. For me the trip was a mixed bag, and part of the negativity in my post was just the poor visibility conditions on the long tiring flights. Having to fly instruments for hours is fatiguing. I won't do the marathon in one day next time unless I have a faster plane, but I will go back. Trying to taxi closer to the show when the grounds opened up mid-week was not fun. I basically lost a day moving camp. I think I need a C-182 for long cross country trips. Much faster and they can be had with an autopilot.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,
    I was trying to get my 1936 Taylor J-2 there for that part of the show. But, between my work schedule, and the fact a year after buying it, the bunny slipper wearing FAA staff hasn't seen fit to get my registration sent to me.....I gave up!
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid