Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: magnometer in wing

Post Thanks / Like

Default magnometer in wing

Hi, Just planning for the cover on my home-built and don't know anything about glass panels. I haven't decided on which make to use but I would like to do the magnometer install before closing the wing up. Will any one of them work with all makes or will I need to make the decision now?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: magnometer in wing

You pretty much have to decide now if you want to do a full install and cover it up. Alternatively you could run a 3 conductor shielded wire along with a single strand of 20 gauge wire to an area you can access later. You will be taking a chance that the area is suitable from a magnetic and EMI standpoint later unless you buy the magnetometer and do the interfere check as prescribed in the installation instructions.

I don't know what type of EAB you are building but you might want to check with other builders of the same model for what location they found that works.

Personal opinion here. But if you ever want to sell the airplane (or your heirs want to) go Garmin. If you plan on always owning it then choose your preferred equipment. The only manufacturer whose products that I have found to be a bit wonky is MGL. Had it in a Pitts and it was problematical to say the least.

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the top coat you use, cutting into fabric and patching is not a big deal. A good quality patch on the bottom of the wing can be hard to detect. I agree with Jim put the wires in now.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Figure out where it would go and rivet some aluminum channel to the spar. You can mount the units to the channel when you decide what you want. Put a square acres panel trim in the wing and cover over it. Cut it out when/if you decide to use it.
    DENNY
    Last edited by PACERGUY; 04-30-2023 at 09:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. I was hoping to shortcut by installing the magnometer right away but it looks like the solution would be to pick a place and provide for it later
    Barrie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barrie View Post
    Thanks for the input. I was hoping to shortcut by installing the magnometer right away but it looks like the solution would be to pick a place and provide for it later
    Barrie
    Depending on how long you plan to wait to install newer avionics systems that use a magnetometer, there are pluses and minuses each way. If you are within a couple of years of a magnetometer then you probably should consider going ahead and installing a whole unit (carefully following the installation instructions as far as "level" and orientation). If you are 5 or more years out then just pre-wire and if you use a SteinAir mag shelf mount it upside down so it can accommodate more form factors than just the Garmin GMU 11. You never know what new type of systems and magnetometers might show up in a couple of years and you don't want to find yourself with an older component that might have to be upgraded in order to support a more advanced flight deck choice. For example, just last week the AV-Mag (STC) remote magnetometer for uAvionix AV-30C was FAA certified so now folks that can use a more basic AV-30 system for aircraft like short wing Pipers for day/night VFR instead of a more complex and expensive system from another manufacturer. That remote magnetometer option didn't exist a year ago. I am in the throws of installing a dual AV-30C system in a Tri-Pacer so the release of the magnetometer was timely. Although deliveries of the AV-Mac (STC) are not expected until June.