Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PA-22/20 rigging issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: PA-22/20 rigging issues

I would suggest that you fly the aircraft at normal cruise in still air. Use the rudder pedals to center the ball and see if the aircraft banks left or right. Adjust the rear lift strut of the heavy wing until the aircraft flies wings level. Once you have the aircraft flying wings level while keeping the ball centered with the rudder pedals, adjust the leading edge of the vertical fin until the aircraft flys wings level with the ball centered without Pilot input to the rudder pedals. Once this is accomplished, adjust the aileron/rudder interconnect so that in a standard rate turn at normal cruise speed the aircraft remains in coordinated flight. Again, these adjustments are all predicated on normal cruise flight in still air. Any other speed will require pilot inputs for level flight or coordinated turns, such as during takeoff climb or landing approach. The only trim tab called for in the parts manual for the PA-22, is a tab on the left aileron. Not sure that a rudder trim tab would be legal without a FAA form 337. If you are adjusting the vertical fin, rudder tab, aileron tab and the lift struts at the same time you will be chasing your tail. One step at a time.
    N2709P

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2709P View Post
    I would suggest that you fly the aircraft at normal cruise in still air. Use the rudder pedals to center the ball and see if the aircraft banks left or right. Adjust the rear lift strut of the heavy wing until the aircraft flies wings level. Once you have the aircraft flying wings level while keeping the ball centered with the rudder pedals, adjust the leading edge of the vertical fin until the aircraft flys wings level with the ball centered without Pilot input to the rudder pedals. Once this is accomplished, adjust the aileron/rudder interconnect so that in a standard rate turn at normal cruise speed the aircraft remains in coordinated flight. Again, these adjustments are all predicated on normal cruise flight in still air. Any other speed will require pilot inputs for level flight or coordinated turns, such as during takeoff climb or landing approach. The only trim tab called for in the parts manual for the PA-22, is a tab on the left aileron. Not sure that a rudder trim tab would be legal without a FAA form 337. If you are adjusting the vertical fin, rudder tab, aileron tab and the lift struts at the same time you will be chasing your tail. One step at a time.
    N2709P
    Relax the problem is solved read #9
    only small adjustments left to dial it in

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

SWOLF, I did read post #9 and that was the reason that I tried to help you resolve your issue. All you have done is put a bandaid over the wound. This is the issue with rigging any aircraft. 90% of the time mechanics ( I am assuming that you are a mechanic as you are doing non-owner maintenance) think they are smarter than the manufactures and cut corners, not following all of the rigging procedure instructions. You have to do rigging one step at a time. The little adjustments done correctly in proper order are the key to success. Your aircraft is still not flying properly rigged and you probably have an illegal rudder trim tab installed to make up for the improper rigging.
    I am very relaxed as I am not the IA or mechanic signing off your aircraft. You most likely will not be getting much help or advice in the future from anyone if you shoot or belittle the messenger. We.are just trying to help our fellow short wingers.
    N2709P

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Removed the abomination that is the rudder trim tab someone decided to put on that was set to the right will test fly this evening and see how it behaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWolf View Post
    Did some flying this morning.

-verified the wing rigging
    -Set the ailerons and got the yoke set neutral

Flight #1 about 10 degrees left bank and about 1/4 left ball

Reduced left wing rear strut 1 turn and removed old trim tab.

Flight #2 3/4 of ball left wings staying level. Landed and adjusted rudder leading edge a few times could not get better than 1/2 ball left.
    Flight #3 Reinstalled old trim tab now fly hands off with slight ball right.

Looks like i am on the right track just some final fine tuning left to go.
    Sounds like you are on the right track, get it to fly hands off (wings level) and then adjust the fin. A lot of people are hesitant to push on the fin. I have done it a lot and only had a wrinkle once which went away the next day.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with 09P, first get it to fly wings level with ball centered using the rudder. Once you can do that, then adjust the fin. Remember, these airplanes will only be “in rig” at one airspeed. Increase or decrease speed it will no longer be in fig so each flight should be done in as close to the same conditions as the prior flight. Pick the speed you will cruise at 90% of the time and use that speed for each check. Try and have the same loading for each flight. Ideally you would want the same temperature and pressure altitude as well. What I find is when I rig an airplane for someone they tell me oh yeah, I fly at x airspeed on y rpm, then they actually fly 10 mph slower or 100 rpm slower and complain the airplane is still out of rig!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk