Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PA-22/20 rigging issues

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-22/20 rigging issues

Starting to dig in to the rigging issues with my PA-22/20.

Currently in strait and level flight it enters a slow left downward turn ball stays centered.

With yoke level it appears ailerons are not the same deflection Right slight up and left quite a bit down deflection.

Right flap also appears was not mounted well not flush with wing when retracted.

Will run through the Rigging procedure in the next few days when I figure a good way to get the tail up in the hanger.

Any thoughts or advice on a path forward to correct this would be appreciated. Local shop is not proficient with rigging shortwings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-22/20 rigging issues

Looks like the hinges mounting tabs were riveted to the false spar without mounting the control surface and insuring they were flush with the bottom of the wing. They probably mixed up the flap and or hinge original locations the last time it was disassembled. My son’s PA22/20 has the same frigg’n problem. None of the control surfaces are flush with the bottom of the wings. On his airplane I initially rigged the wings to the instruction memo. Insured the yoke was centered and adjusted the aileron trailing edges to neutral. Then adjusted the flap bell crank shat rod length to match the fuselage nub where the fairing wraps around the trailing edge. From there to remove the heavy wing I think I adjusted the rear strut on the heavy wing, shorter I think.. it’s been like 5 years since I re-rigged it. This summer we’re pulling the wings to recover and repair/correct the crapsmanship issues. Especially since the Stewart’s system top coat has completely peeled off the top side of both wings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Piper didn't do a good job of aligning the hinges. I would get you control surfaces rigged trailing edges in line when an air load is simulated. then check your wing rigging. Check the outboard aileron bay rib with a digital level, each should be the same angle and the airplane will usually fly wings level with the ball centered. Have had to turn a rear strut for 1/2 a turn or so. After the wings are rigged then deal with the fin to get the ball to center without having to step on a rudder pedal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Looks like the hinges mounting tabs were riveted to the false spar without mounting the control surface and insuring they were flush with the bottom of the wing. They probably mixed up the flap and or hinge original locations the last time it was disassembled. My son’s PA22/20 has the same frigg’n problem. None of the control surfaces are flush with the bottom of the wings. On his airplane I initially rigged the wings to the instruction memo. Insured the yoke was centered and adjusted the aileron trailing edges to neutral. Then adjusted the flap bell crank shat rod length to match the fuselage nub where the fairing wraps around the trailing edge. From there to remove the heavy wing I think I adjusted the rear strut on the heavy wing, shorter I think.. it’s been like 5 years since I re-rigged it. This summer we’re pulling the wings to recover and repair/correct the crapsmanship issues. Especially since the Stewart’s system top coat has completely peeled off the top side of both wings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I don’t want to hijack this thread, but do you know what caused the top coat to peal off? I painted my left wing last year with the Stewart system and I’m in the middle of painting the right wing.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got the tail up and leveled last night.

I have droop tips so set the string to the top of Rib 13 that would be the end of the original wing configuration. Correct me if I'm wrong on that spot.

Measured
    4" left
    4 3/16 right

I think the plan of attack tonight will be get the struts set correctly then use the Piper Rigging paper by Frank Rush to correct the control surfaces. Thank you Sean for digging up that paper

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-22/20 rigging issues

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    I don’t want to hijack this thread, but do you know what caused the top coat to peal off? I painted my left wing last year with the Stewart system and I’m in the middle of painting the right wing.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    A guy rebuilt the airplane, wrecked on the first flight, another guy bought it. Did the engine…poorly..painted it with paint purchased from the last owner. Somewhere along the path it was covered with polyfiber through silver…then topped with Stewarts system..there isn’t any evidence of the silver having been scuffed to give Stewart’s something to grab ahold of. And it was tied down outside in Anchor Point Alaska for three years.
    Last edited by mmoyle; 05-16-2023 at 05:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

apparently i should not do work in the evenings. Reset the string yesterday afternoon and got measurements that are close to the SM-20 procedure left wing is only off 0.3 degrees compared to the right with a digital level for washout.

Locked the yokes to level and adjusted the ailerons.
    Right leveled out good
    Left it appears there is some warping on the outboard so half split the difference.

Test flight this morning left wing is less heavy or fixed and ball ls slight left i cant tell if its just yaw or the wing at this point.
    Removed the abomination that is the rudder trim tab someone decided to put on that was set to the right will test fly this evening and see how it behaves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Get it to fly hands off with the ball centered (wing rigging) before you try to deal with the rudder. Otherwise you will be chasing your tail.

Post Thanks / Like

Did some flying this morning.

-verified the wing rigging
    -Set the ailerons and got the yoke set neutral

Flight #1 about 10 degrees left bank and about 1/4 left ball

Reduced left wing rear strut 1 turn and removed old trim tab.

Flight #2 3/4 of ball left wings staying level. Landed and adjusted rudder leading edge a few times could not get better than 1/2 ball left.
    Flight #3 Reinstalled old trim tab now fly hands off with slight ball right.

Looks like i am on the right track just some final fine tuning left to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I don't think it should need a trim tab on the tail, I don't think one is mentioned in the rigging procedures.