Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Short Wing At A Super Cub Function

Post Thanks / Like

Default Short Wing At A Super Cub Function

Another great weekend in the Idaho backcountry.

Camping with the backcountry Tripacer at the Johnson Creek airstrip

IMG_3555.jpeg

Flew to the Root Ranch inside the Frank Church Wilderness area. The ranch is accessed only by plane or trail. The strip has a fun approach, but is high, short, one way, and rough, but the breakfast is tremendous at the lodge.

IMG_4442.jpeg
    IMG_3556.jpeg

Leaving Root Ranch

IMG_4457.jpeg
    IMG_4458.jpeg
    IMG_4459.jpeg

IMG_4460.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Short Wing At A Super Cub Function

I saw those pictures Jay posted. What about ice cream, did you deliver them ice cream. Come on Bob, priorities.

Post Thanks / Like

Great to see our little nose-draggers keeping up with the tail-wheelers!!

Post Thanks / Like

I had intended to get up this weekend, but last minute work requirements Friday meant it was a no go. How was the weather Sunday, every thing I looked at made it sound like a stay in the tent kind of day?
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertC View Post
    Another great weekend in the Idaho backcountry.

Camping with the backcountry Tripacer at the Johnson Creek airstrip

IMG_3555.jpeg

Flew to the Root Ranch inside the Frank Church Wilderness area. The ranch is accessed only by plane or trail. The strip has a fun approach, but is high, short, one way, and rough, but the breakfast is tremendous at the lodge.

IMG_4442.jpeg
    IMG_3556.jpeg

Leaving Root Ranch

IMG_4457.jpeg
    IMG_4458.jpeg
    IMG_4459.jpeg

IMG_4460.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

The nose on an intact PA22 is one of the strongest made. There aren't many places that you "should" go which you "can't" go in one. I've been through a few of the nose wheel variants, before "graduating" (found a screaming deal on a Clipper, wanted one for years, made an offer I didn't expect to be accepted, it was) and have had nosewheels 22's all over the Church, Southern UT, Oregon & Washington, still to this day, I wouldn't hesitate to take a 22 about 80 % of the places I'd take a SuperCub & 90% of the places I'd go with my Clipper, that says a lot because I've not found much that I want to go to that I can't get my Clipper(it does have Sullivan tips, VG's & a 160HP engine, and still tips the scales at a RCH under 1k lb) into & back out of safely
    Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    Great to see our little nose-draggers keeping up with the tail-wheelers!!

Post Thanks / Like

Before I bought my PA-22, I asked a fellow teacher (he had an Aeronca Chief) what the folks in his group had to say about the T-P. The usual: "Flies like a brick", "Flying milk stool", and "Doesn't do well on grass"...

When checking the plane out with the seller, I asked him about the flying off grass thing. He directed me over to a farm (we were in central PA); he took over and spiraled down to a hard-to-see grass strip next to a road and landed. Back-taxied, then said "Watch."

Granted, it was only the two of us (about 350 lbs) and partial fuel --though far from empty-- and no luggage, but we gained speed and easily lifted off that not-very-well-maintained (and seldom used) grass strip.

"Now look back," he says. "Wow," says, I, "we didn't use half that runway!" "We didn't use even a THIRD of it. Don't let anyone ever tell you these things won't work on grass!"

Needless to say, I was suitably impressed. That's when I learned that folks who denigrate the PA-22's performance... have probably never flown one.

Walt

Post Thanks / Like

Famous N3129Z competed at the Valdez STOL contest in May. Didn't beat the Cubs but combined takeoff and landing distance was less than 400 ft.

Post Thanks / Like

Those Valdez airplanes are great, but their pilots never mention the argument that they have about strapping the wife kids onto the wing struts for the flight over….

GO RobertC !