Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Found a not great ground attachment at the wingtip!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Found a not great ground attachment at the wingtip!

Took the plane on a short flight yesterday which put me in a place needing ADSB, which I have via a wingtip light. The flight there was uneventful other than my stratux constantly disconnecting then reconnecting which prevented me from seeing traffic for portions of the flight. No big deal, just an annoyance. On the return trip ATC informed me that my ADSB appeared to be cutting in and out and advised I look into it when I got to my home airport. After returning home I had my son watch the light as I turned it on and got ready to shake the plane. I didn't even need to shake it. I turn it on, the led light lit up, then immediately went out.

My guess is that when the wingtip adsb was installed the installer couldn't find a ground wire as they used a piece of aluminum foil shoved into the fabric to connect to ground. It obviously worked as all my preflights have resulted in a good light and everything with ADSB appearing to work in the past. The foil actually looked a little burned, likely from small arcing and sparking when it was working. As a former avionics tech in the Navy this doesn't work for me. I actually hope it wouldn't work for others but obviously someone thought it was ok.

I'm guessing the art of fishing a ground wire in the front section of the wing with no inspection panels is going to be an adventure. Are there any tips for my A&P and I? I can pull the landing and taxi lights to get access in that area but otherwise its looking like a long run with no access. Will removal of the panel over the fuel tank allow access closer to the wing root? I'm also not a fan of just fishing the wire over the sharp edges of the ribs as that will only lead to other problems in the future. I'm only guessing at this point that the lightening holes in the ribs have sharp edges.
    Last edited by Will K; 06-25-2023 at 11:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Found a not great ground attachment at the wingtip!

The landing and taxi lights should have a good ground. Can you run the wire from there to the wing tip?

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Found a not great ground attachment at the wingtip!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    The landing and taxi lights should have a good ground. Can you run the wire from there to the wing tip?

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Definitely considering that if I can't find a suitable way to run the wire the length of the wing. Would prefer to run the ground back to the main cabin or a specific ground point as I despise daisy chained circuits.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Found a not great ground attachment at the wingtip!

Might want to read thru this thread (and a couple threads linked within) if you haven’t already.
    May be some tips. I successfully ran new wires when I installed my led strobes. Fed the wire with a protective sleeve starting at the wing tip and fed inboard.

Retrofitting wingtip / tail strobes
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

And another one:

beacons and strobes
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ysifly2; 06-26-2023 at 09:22 PM.