Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ownership longevity, how long have you owned your short wing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ownership longevity, how long have you owned your short wing?

We're just in our fifth season, but the Athol-Orange Aero Club, previous owner(s) of our Clipper bought it in 1950 and kept it in the same hangar until we took delivery in 2018. One of my covid year projects was to dig into the log books and it was a trip. Pretty sure I have more nights outside than the Clipper...

this picture from 1961 -

clipper circa 1961.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Pulled 35Z out of the weeds in 1988 where it had been sitting for a long time. Was building a RV4 at the time and wanted the engine. After looking her over decided to fly her for a while while building the 4. Painted the red to blue, put in a used nav/com taking out the tube radio. Ended up flying it for about 10 years and when the fabric finally was done grounded her and good thing. Was so fond of her I decided to restore her and ended up replacing most of the bottom of the fuselage. Took about 7 years, took about 4 years just to get started. Been flying her again for about 15 years. Never finished the RV. The little girl in the picture is my 40 year old daughter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frank Green; 06-29-2023 at 09:11 AM.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Bought my '56 TP in 2016. Sight unseen. Montana plane for most of its life. Moved it to CA, then FL. Recovered in late '80's early '90's with Ceconite/Randolf Dope. Engine rebuilt a few years later at 2600 hours. They changed the colors from White with Red to Sun Valley Ivory...I've grown to like it, and I'm not thought of as an 'earth tone' guy. I got it with No interior. It had seats. Period. I put in an entire interior, changed almost all the avionics and added engine diagnostics and have done maintenance, mods, improvements constantly since owning it. Thinking about putting a black stripe of some sort down the side. It's a sun valley ivory plane right now. Visualize that. Anyway, Alaska Airframes sealed struts, and so many STC's I can't burden this thread with them, but I love my airplane. I flew it from MT to CA where we stayed for a few years then moved to FL. Here for the duration now. I've flown it to NC and back, ME and back, OSH and back and will be going to OSH this year too. My wife loves my airplane, I think simply because I love my airplane, and I love her. She is happy in this plane. I take her out swooping some gators and just cruising down the coast and she loves it. This plane is just a fun plane to fly...Go fly a 172. Then fly one of these on the same day and see what you think. I'll welcome your response.

Post Thanks / Like

We bought our Pacer as a rusty/corroded decrepit apology for an aircraft in a farm shed in the bush about 25 years ago.
    It took 5 years to reduce it to component parts and restore, straighten the fuselage, fit tailwheel and toe brakes, new alternator and modern electrical system, bulk strip the engine, improved instruments and panel, enlarged aux tank., refuelling steps, improved oil cooler, modern seat belts etc.
    Lots of flying in the 20 years since then, better exhaust installed, worn out one engine and prop, and have just had a mode S transponder and ADS-B fitted.
    Another flying trip outback in 2 weeks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Bought my Clipper in 1995 or 96. Learned to fly in it. Was severely damaged in a mid-air in 2002 and I got it back after 5 years of litigation. I haven't done much to it since I put it in the shop behind my house. Kind of an emotional roller coaster when I did work on it. I ended up uncovering the Clipper I bought in 2002 to replace it. The fuselage and the wings have been redone to better than new and almost ready for cover for a very long time. Need to get the little things done and have my daughter cover everything.

Post Thanks / Like

I got my PA17 Vagabond in 1977....
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    Bought my '56 TP in 2016. Sight unseen. Montana plane for most of its life. Moved it to CA, then FL. Recovered in late '80's early '90's with Ceconite/Randolf Dope. Engine rebuilt a few years later at 2600 hours. They changed the colors from White with Red to Sun Valley Ivory...I've grown to like it, and I'm not thought of as an 'earth tone' guy. I got it with No interior. It had seats. Period. I put in an entire interior, changed almost all the avionics and added engine diagnostics and have done maintenance, mods, improvements constantly since owning it. Thinking about putting a black stripe of some sort down the side. It's a sun valley ivory plane right now. Visualize that. Anyway, Alaska Airframes sealed struts, and so many STC's I can't burden this thread with them, but I love my airplane. I flew it from MT to CA where we stayed for a few years then moved to FL. Here for the duration now. I've flown it to NC and back, ME and back, OSH and back and will be going to OSH this year too. My wife loves my airplane, I think simply because I love my airplane, and I love her. She is happy in this plane. I take her out swooping some gators and just cruising down the coast and she loves it. This plane is just a fun plane to fly...Go fly a 172. Then fly one of these on the same day and see what you think. I'll welcome your response.

That's a great story. I've moved 31 D a few times. Those have been the best trips because it's the longest time I get to spend with her. Most of trips have been .5 to 1.0's in the local area. So when I get to stretch her legs, I love to do it. Just flew out to Dauphin Island off of Mobile, AL yesterday. Bit of a bucket list item for me. Head to OSH this year as well. What's your time line and route of flight?

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Fun Stories! I bought my pacer in 2010. I did a 2 yr stint in a 1951 tripacer while in high school (sn 22-61). Was able to do my Commercial Pilot check ride in it just before the regs changed. When I bought the current 1956 PA22/20, it was an in progress rebuild that I finished out. Also gave my son his tailwheel endorsement in the 1956. stay safe, Moe