Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: ERZ-8012 Starter for PA-22-135

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wanted: ERZ-8012 Starter for PA-22-135

Looking for an ERZ-8012 starter for a PA-22-135 so I can get to Oshkosh!

I tried 2 other starters (122NL, 122-12PM), both of which did not fit (oil cooler structural bracket in the way). Any other suggestions would be helpful, too, thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wanted: ERZ-8012 Starter for PA-22-135

That starter will fit but the price has gone through the roof. The Sky-Tec NL starter works. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...-a-PA-22/page2

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Steve, thanks for the info! My mechanic and I discussed this, but at the time decided against modifying the bracket in favor of just going back to the ERZ starter that fits. However, with the pictures from the thread you linked I may go back and try to address the mod again to get a 122-NL to work.

Question: with the connection being on the side (and thus more forward I think), does that required a longer set of cables to be routed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just bent the cooler bracket ever so slightly. It does take a little longer starter cable but Sky-Tec now includes that with the starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Muehl View Post
    Hey Steve, thanks for the info! My mechanic and I discussed this, but at the time decided against modifying the bracket in favor of just going back to the ERZ starter that fits. However, with the pictures from the thread you linked I may go back and try to address the mod again to get a 122-NL to work.

Question: with the connection being on the side (and thus more forward I think), does that required a longer set of cables to be routed?
    Yes, you have to lengthen one cable. Bolt on a short extension to existing is the way most do it. I have the 122-NL and couldn't be happier with it. Yes you have to cut the oil cooler mounts and weld the legs back on in different locations. It's not that hard. Here's how I did mine:IMG_5237.JPGIMG_5236.JPGIMG_5235.JPGIMG_5232.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,
    I actually talked to someone at Hartzell and they mentioned that the 122NL came with an extension for the cable. Were you able to bend and re-drill (if needed) the current structural tube, or did you have to use a new tube?

Subsonic,
    Typed the reply to Steve before I saw yours. So you welded on a new tube to make it work, understood. I appreciate the pictures, helps explain it a bit more. Is yours an O-290-D2 / is the O-290-D2 common with the O-320 in this area?
    Last edited by Jeff Muehl; 07-10-2023 at 11:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Look at my pic from the front. That leg that curves under the front of the starter snout is cut shorter, bent to a different curvature and flattened and re-drilled. The rear leg is cut off at the base, (see remaining little stub), shortened, flattened, bent and re-welded back to the tri-Y junction. See side view. Only the middle leg remains stock / unaltered. The front leg is only shortened, not cut off the tri-Y junction. Only the back leg is cut off, bolted to the starter lug, and bent to a position back on the tri-Y junction and tacked, mount removed and welded fully. Then bolt it back on for fit check before removal and paint, then final re-attach.
    Last edited by Subsonic; 07-10-2023 at 11:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have been able to bend the tube for clearance without cutting and welding.

Post Thanks / Like

Subsonic,
    Typed the reply to Steve before I saw yours. So you welded on a new tube to make it work, understood. I appreciate the pictures, helps explain it a bit more. Is yours an O-290-D2 / is the O-290-D2 common with the O-320 in this area?[/QUOTE]

My '56 TP has an O-320 A1A Narrow Deck - 150 hp. I don't know if it's the same as the O-290-D2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Muehl View Post
    Looking for an ERZ-8012 starter for a PA-22-135 so I can get to Oshkosh!

I tried 2 other starters (122NL, 122-12PM), both of which did not fit (oil cooler structural bracket in the way). Any other suggestions would be helpful, too, thank you!
    I have an ERZ-8012 for sale.

It only has ~150hrs. Unfortunately it will not fit with the Rubbert Exhaust I recently purchased.