Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Skagit crash 7-11-2023

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Skagit crash 7-11-2023

Stephen,
    So very sad. Your TriPacer just setting in the sun and minding its own business. I am sure you are heartbroken—even though it is a machine ==they do seem to have a personality and become a friend. So sorry
    ~~Marsha

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the encouragement. I got most of what is left of the plane apart. James A Smith is building up a stretched Super Pacer fuselage. He'll do the stretch, the Trimmer pa 18 mod and replace the left front door post. That will still leave me with lots of welding on the frame. A friend up in BC has a set of unused stretched SP wings he will sell me. Both, will save me many weeks of work. I'm waiting to hear from the other guys insurance company. Building this airplane back to what is was is not cheap. IMG_20230716_112311568.jpg

Glad I wasn't setting in the plane at the time.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear there is a plan in place already! I have a set of colt tail feathers in Seattle, happy to get them to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

Glad I wasn't setting in the plane at the time.
    I am also glad you weren’t sitting in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

None of my business, so I'll certainly understand if I'm ignored. I'm just curious what insurance company is backing the Stinson and how they behaving dealing with you? I'm especially interested in how they determine the value of your salvage, presuming you're planning on keeping it. I'd think your engine is fine, and perhaps the contents of your dashboard too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    Glad to hear there is a plan in place already! I have a set of colt tail feathers in Seattle, happy to get them to you.

Thank you, the aviation community is great. I have PA 18 H stablizer and elevators, which need replacing. I will need a replacement PA 22 rudder. I think it is the same as a Colt.
    Last edited by Stephen; 07-28-2023 at 11:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi,

None of my business, so I'll certainly understand if I'm ignored. I'm just curious what insurance company is backing the Stinson and how they behaving dealing with you? I'm especially interested in how they determine the value of your salvage, presuming you're planning on keeping it. I'd think your engine is fine, and perhaps the contents of your dashboard too.
    The Stenson owner has AVEMCO insurance. Yes, I will rebuild my plane. I submitted a detailed spreadsheet of the items that need replacing. They include wings, fuselage, all control surfaces except ailerons and maybe one H stablizer, doors, one landing gear, prop and more. They are looking for comps. I don't know how they can find that information. My plane has 36 STC's and field approvals. Many of the approvals took years to acquire. I need to transfer my data plate to keep all my paperwork. I hope to find out this coming week. My insurance company (Travers) says they should pay to make my plane the way it was before it got hit.

I repaired an aileron and doing some carbon fiber patching on my wing tips. Next week I'll be off to the Okanogan, BC to pick up a set of unused Super Pacer wings built by Univair years ago. I will install my Dakota tanks then recover them.
    Last edited by Stephen; 07-28-2023 at 11:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for that. It never crossed my mind that your Insurance company would stand with you through your ordeal. When this is all done, and you're sitting in your hangar looking it over, will the plane mean as much as the first time through it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi Stephen,

Thank you for that. It never crossed my mind that your Insurance company would stand with you through your ordeal. When this is all done, and you're sitting in your hangar looking it over, will the plane mean as much as the first time through it?
    Good question. I hope to make a few improvements. But, I want my plane back to what it was.

I'm picking up new wings Wednesday. They were built by Univair per Super Pacer STC.
    Last edited by Stephen; 07-29-2023 at 07:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m glad you found the wings. That would have been a lot of work to build new ones. Some of our planes have so many mods and STCs. When you have owned a highly modified plane, it’s hard to go back to a stock airplane.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z