Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Stretched pacer with Bearhawk wings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stretched pacer with Bearhawk wings

New to the forum. Has anyone here heard of a stretched pacer with Bearhawk wings. Is it even possible ?
    the Bearhawk wing is a bit shorter than a cub wing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stretched pacer with Bearhawk wings

I don't think a Bearhawk wing will be a "bolt on". I am sure you could get it to work with mods. If you want something similar and that will bolt on, you will want a Riblett 66 from D&E found here. https://www.de-aircraft.com/ They can provide you a wing kit that will work on a custom stretched Pacer. Last I saw it is about 12.5k for just the wing and 19k with tank, struts and all the extras you likely need.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you wanting a shorter wing? Or?

Post Thanks / Like

Why would you take the time to do this? Do you have the parts? This plane already exists and you can find them in parts piles everywhere. It's called a Maule. If you want to re invent the wheel then really do it...

Post Thanks / Like

I’m with you!

Pacer benefits: It has a lighter fuselage than a Bearhawk
    Bearhawk benefits: It has a less draggy wing than a Pacer. There is one strut, no jury struts, and the airfoil is less draggy.

Unfortunately, I have already looked into this and the spars are different distances from each other. If you didn’t want to rework the spar attach points (and much of the structure around the cabin) I think the best thing to do would be to build a Bearhawk companion. It has a lighter fuselage than the 4-place, but the same wing (longer than the short wing) with only one strut. If you wanted four seats (I would), you would need to figure out how to add back seats to the Companion, since that’s not its selling point. It’s experimental, so you can figure out your own back seats (or just copy the Pacer’s since it works). It’s got the useful load for children in the back, etc.

Since we are talking experimental already, your other option is to clean up the fabric wing as much as you can. You could get Badland’s leading edge cuff, clean up with fairings, get the different airfoil ribs, and stay with the short wing if you want to be fast (ish); or extend the wing if you don’t care about the jury struts.

This is what I’ve been thinking about on this subject.