Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery box venting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery box venting

Do sealed batteries eliminate the need to vent the battery box? Dry sell or lead acid. Are available batteries drop in?
    Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Battery box venting

I have always wondered to if they should vent outside the cockpit. Dry cell, AGM, Sealed Lead Acid, are just different names for the same thing, a battery with acid absorbed into glass mat, AGM. Some have a vent I think for overvolt heating, but the lead acid is not liquid so they cannot spill or leak like wet cell batteries, so the box does not need a drain.. but I am always wondering if the AGM under my seat is letting out acid fumes into the cockpit as it charges?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The batteries are sealed and do not need venting. Eliminates the belly fabric repair when battery acid leaks and makes a mess. The sealed battery STCs on other aircraft that relocate the location in the cockpit do not call out vents.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have experience with the Hawker J16?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Google "J16 Hawker site:shortwingpipers.org"
    https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...tery&styleid=5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CTJER View Post
    Anyone have experience with the Hawker J16?
    Put one in my '56 PA22 about a year ago. So far, it's amazing. Lightweight. 13.2 VDC all the time. I have replaced all my lights with LED's. I also have a B&C alternator and SkyTec starter. I use a Smart, plug-in battery trickle maintainer on it because I have parasites while in hangar, (Tablet, SureFly EI).

Post Thanks / Like

And the J16 I got (2014, IIRC) is still in there.

Several of the past years I had it at home while 57A was being worked on so it doesn't have a lot of miles on it, but I really figured I'd have to replace it after my plane got back to flight status. Nope, so far it's still doing the job!

Post Thanks / Like

My Hawkr J16 lasted a year, wouldnt hold a charge, I read Steve's post on 43.13 from another thred here on battries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I have often wondered about the batteries on the TCDS. Can't get them anymore and always used the G35 that is 23 Ah and the RG35A 29 Ah. Dan's tried to get the Odysey PC680 approved but there was an issue and got the original STC for the Hawker SBSJ16 battery.If you read AC 43.13-2B Chapter 10 which is approved data it lays out everything need to install almost any lead acid battery in an airplane.
    Showed that to my IA and he read 43.13 chap 10, and he did not have any issue with me using a plane old garden tractor $79. AGM battery, weighs 21 pounds, 5 lbs more than my hawker j16 but it has lasted 7 years now and still cranks the O235.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PA-16; 10-12-2023 at 10:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PA-16 View Post
    My Hawkr J16 lasted a year, wouldnt hold a charge, I read Steve's post on 43.13 from another thred here on battries

Showed that to my IA and he read 43.13 chap 10, and he did not have any issue with me using a plane old garden tractor $79. AGM battery, weighs 21 pounds, 5 lbs more than my hawker j16 but it has lasted 7 years now and still cranks the O235.
    The Hawker battery has a warranty, you had a bad battery. They usually last 7-8 years. The AGM lawnmower batteries not so much but they are cheaper. Just did the condition inspection on a Sport Cub and had to replace the lawnmower battery that I replaced last year. Warranty is only 6 months on those at O'Rielly Auto Parts.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are right, my Hawker j-16 was bad from the factory, they are not a superman battery, thats kind of what I think people think they are though. After reading the "or not" that I underlined in red in AC 43.13 leads me to believe they are implying off the shelf batteries like the original S24-12V battery that came in my plane. I dont have love for any battery but I like the ones that last, and the one that has lasted the longest for me are the cheap Mighty Max AGM, probably the closest thing to what Piper used OEM, I doubt they went looking for some special superman battery, searching CAR 3 this is what I found,
    § 3.682 Batteries. When an item of electrical equipment which is essential to the safe operation of the airplane is installed, the battery required shall have sufficient capacity to supply the electrical power necessary for dependable operation of the connected electrical equipment.
    § 3.683 Protection against acid. If batteries are of such a type that corrosive substance may escape during servicing or flight, means such as a completely enclosed compartment shall be provided to prevent such substances from coming in contact with other parts of the airplane which are essential to safe operation. Batteries shall be accessible for servicing and inspection on the ground.
    § 3.684 Battery vents. The battery container or compartment shall be vented in such manner that gases released by the battery are carried outside the airplane.
    Last edited by PA-16; 10-12-2023 at 10:53 AM.