Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Lycoming O-320 150hp expected RPM on takeoff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lycoming O-320 150hp expected RPM on takeoff

At full power my Tri-Pacer Pa-22-150 is producing only about a max of 2275 RPM. This is at a density altitude of 700ft and outside temperature roughly 45 degrees F. At full rich the RPM drops to about 2200 max. Add carb heat and it drops to about 2050. Is this the expected performance of this engine? What should I be checking into?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lycoming O-320 150hp expected RPM on takeoff

To adequately answer your question we need to know what your prop pitch is. Also is that static RPM?
    The TCDS https://dyzz9obi78pm5.cloudfront.net...23d5/n/1a6.pdf item 5 under PROPELLORS AND ACCESSORIES. list the static RPM limits.
    For your engine and prop it list’s minimum static RPM is 2250 and maximum is 2480. Those numbers are partially dependent on your prop pitch. Mechanical tachometers are notoriously inaccurate. Assuming 61” pitch prop you are are above the minimum assuming your Tachometer is accurate.
    I always lean when doing a static RPM check.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 11-05-2023 at 10:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Gilbert! Yes this is static RPM and I have the Sensenich 74-inch M74DM prop with 61-inch pitch. I just recently purchased this airplane as my first airplane, just now learning to fly, and getting to know it's characteristics & limitations. Thanks so much for the link, I downloaded that and saved it. I am happy to know that the performance is within spec.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My first Pacer had a 61" pitched prop and had low static and take-off rpm but went fast. I had it repitched it to 58" and it got off the runway better but was not as fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lycoming O-320 150hp expected RPM on takeoff

Deleted delete deleted
    Last edited by mmoyle; 11-10-2023 at 12:30 AM.