Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Me Tripacer Bushmaster - tubing corrosion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New to Me Tripacer Bushmaster - tubing corrosion

Hi again,

Any chance you've seen how far forward the longerons are trash? If they need replacing through the gear fittings, strut mounts, maybe to the firewall, it'll change the time required by bunches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi again,

Any chance you've seen how far forward the longerons are trash? If they need replacing through the gear fittings, strut mounts, maybe to the firewall, it'll change the time required by bunches.

Not yet. I won't see it with my own eyes til Dec 9th along with an AME I've hired for the inspection.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Just curious, what does AME stand for? Aviation Medical Examiner rings my bell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi,

Just curious, what does AME stand for? Aviation Medical Examiner rings my bell.

In Canada an Aircraft maintenance engineer (AME) is a person who is responsible for signing the maintenance release of certified aircraft and is licensed to do so by the national airworthiness authority, Transport Canada (TC). Their job is to ensure that aircraft are maintained in a safe condition.

different acronym than the US?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jayemtl View Post
    In Canada an Aircraft maintenance engineer (AME) is a person who is responsible for signing the maintenance release of certified aircraft and is licensed to do so by the national airworthiness authority, Transport Canada (TC). Their job is to ensure that aircraft are maintained in a safe condition.

different acronym than the US?
    In the US it is an A&P or Mechanic with an Airframe and Powerplant rating. In any case, make sure your AME is familiar with tube and fabric airplanes. Take an Ice Pick to probe the longerons (assuming the seller will let you).

Post Thanks / Like

Longeron corrosion is usually isolated to a few bays, if so the repairs should be much cheaper than shipping costs.

Milo would have built it correctly. It should be a good plane. Where exactly is the plane located?

Post Thanks / Like

Vancouver Island - Comox Valley Area

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jayemtl View Post
    Vancouver Island - Comox Valley Area
    Not far from me but, difficult to get to because of the ferry rides. My friend here on Lopez Island just had a couple of feet of his lower longeron replaced on a Clipper. It cost him $500 for welding and tubbing. He did the skin himself. The welder came from off Island, Vancouver Island is big and should have someone to do the job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Not far from me but, difficult to get to because of the ferry rides. My friend here on Lopez Island just had a couple of feet of his lower longeron replaced on a Clipper. It cost him $500 for welding and tubbing. He did the skin himself. The welder came from off Island, Vancouver Island is big and should have someone to do the job.
    Thanks for sharing that. I had already budgeted some decent $$$ for 'fixes' and 'maintenance items' and that example makes me feel a lot better about it.

Post Thanks / Like

So I finally got to lay my own eyes on this plane today. I brought a borescope with me and was able to get a few more pics of the airframe. Lowers a completely taped up, but connections to the rest of the airframe do have some corrosion. It doesn't look too crazy from the outside, but who knows what is inside. Trying to add some pics.