Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to Me Tripacer Bushmaster - tubing corrosion

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New to Me Tripacer Bushmaster - tubing corrosion

Tubes do not rust from the inside unless someone has drilled a hole in the tube which allows moisture in. Dirt on the longerons is the biggest issue we see. We cover the belly first and pretty much encapsulate the lower longerons with fabric after we blast, epoxy prime and paint with catalyzed polyurethane (Ranthane).
    IMG_20180528_153049.jpg

IMG_20180528_153003.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 12-12-2023 at 07:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I said tape, but it I think it's actually some other material Milo had wrapped the lowers in.

You can see some surface corrosion on the welded intersected joints in these pics.

Bushmaster - 1 of 1.jpegBushmaster - 1 of 1 (1).jpegBushmaster - 1 of 1 (2).jpeg

Tapping all along the lowers, they 'sound' solid (as much as that can tell me from my very limited experience).

Plane is going to need fabric in the future I believe anyway as it's just over 30 years old at this point, but this gives an idea of what I'm seeing in terms of rust on tubes in the lower tail area. All uppers are pristine and forward in the cabin etc have no rust at all. I guess from the tail constantly in the 'splash zone' over the years is why the moisture has done its thing to the lowers?

Library - 1 of 5.jpegLibrary - 3 of 5.jpegLibrary - 4 of 5.jpegLibrary - 5 of 5.jpeg
    Last edited by jayemtl; 12-12-2023 at 09:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't see any blisters, bubbles etc. Clean and treat. Glue in some inspection rings for access if needed.