Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 0-320 Narrow deck case splitting plate plans and 4 cylinder hold down plates

Post Thanks / Like

Default 0-320 Narrow deck case splitting plate plans and 4 cylinder hold down plates

I’m in the process of an engine OH on my early O-320. Last week I purchased an overhauled B2B narrow deck case. Now I am getting the engine torn down to send out crank etc for inspection/overhaul.

1. Does anyone have dimensions to build a narrow deck case splitting plate? Or does anyone have case splitting tooling they would loan out?

2. Does anyone have a set of 4 good cylinder hold down plates they want to sell? A friend had 4 that I bought this week. I need 4 more to make a complete set.
    Last edited by moto657; 11-09-2023 at 10:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 0-320 Narrow deck case splitting plate plans and 4 cylinder hold down plates

I have used this method a few times.

http://nickugolini.com/Website/CaseS...e_splitter.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 0-320 Narrow deck case splitting plate plans and 4 cylinder hold down plates

I have a set of narrow deck splitting plates Like these.
    109225.jpeg

I also have a tool I copied from one LyCon loaned me shown in these pictures. steve@shortwingpipers.org
    PXL_20230608_215747375.jpg

PXL_20230608_215757163.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

A good article on the subject. I made a set of flat plates like show but haven't used them yet. Maybe today. will let you know how they work.
    https://www.kitplanes.com/lets-split/
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Used my plates as per the KP article. Worked fine. Just have to leave a bolt in the oil pan area and back it off as you spread to keep it even. Picture rotated .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    Used my plates as per the KP article. Worked fine. Just have to leave a bolt in the oil pan area and back it off as you spread to keep it even. Picture rotated .
    Thanks for the pictures. So your tool pushes on the crank through a brass block? I think I would prefer to use a tool that pushes on the through studs to separate.

Looks like you pulled the through studs out first. Did you double nut them or use a stud puller tool?

PS - I grew up in Constantia, NY. Really small town not too far from Frankfort.

Post Thanks / Like

I could make a 3D model in Solidworks based on the dimensions and make a cut file (G-code) from a DXF. I can get my hands on either of the two styles, the old cast with webs or the new solid billet one. I could email the DXF or code in a text file and then you could have it waterjet cut or lasar cut on 1/2" HRPO steel plate.

Todd
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 11-10-2023 at 03:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post
    I could make a 3D model in Solidworks based on the dimensions and make a cut file (G-code) from a DXF. I can get my hands on either of the two styles, the old cast with webs or the new solid billet one. I could email the DXF or code in a text file and then you could have it waterjet cut or lasar cut on 1/2" HRPO steel plate.

Todd
    Is it possible for you to do a simple 2 D layout of the holes to allow the non-through studs to pass through the plate? I think it would be really simple to drill a plate at the home with those measurements. It would be nice to have some accurate dimensions of the hole locations though.

Then use some stand off nuts with washers welded on to pick up the studs and push the case halves apart with the through studs.

Similar to what this guy did:
    https://youtu.be/l54p3xtSj2U?si=vCV9Or5whnHcgsz4

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post

Todd
    I have those plates as well but need to see which engine they are for. Got them at an auction a few years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I have those plates as well but need to see which engine they are for. Got them at an auction a few years ago.

All engines that employ thru bolts dowels. Look at the holes they are elongated. Really needed for pre torque when using high crush bearings.