Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Looking for Hartzell HC-82XL-6D constant speed prop for rare factory fitted PA22

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for Hartzell HC-82XL-6D constant speed prop for rare factory fitted PA22

I'm looking if someone could help me find a Hartzell HC-82XL-6D constant speed prop for my tailwheel modified PA22 from 1957.

It was rarely fitted in the factory with this prop, when I bought it it as an project the prop wasn't there anymore and Hartzell had no direct replacement either.

Other option is to have the engine modified for a fixed prop but could be nice to fit a prop as it was, story is that it came out of the factory with this prop as a seaplane so maybe that was why it was fitted with this constant speed prop.

I'm about to take the engine of for overhaul so now would be the time to decide..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for Hartzell HC-82XL-6D constant speed prop for rare factory fitted PA22

I flew a converted PA-22 to tailwheel with the HC82 prop. Cruised a little faster but having an extra 20# on the nose was noticeable. That airplane was exported to the UK.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for Hartzell HC-82XL-6D constant speed prop for rare factory fitted PA22

I guess that's my Pacer then! Could you tell me more what you know about it? It used to be the N7139D, imported from the US to UK in 1995 and registered in UK as G-BWWU. I'm doing a complete rebuilt on it now. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Could well be the airplane. It was in the '96 time frame. The airplane had been stored for a while and a friend of mine purchased it and reassembled it. Don't recall what work he did at the time, I think it was mainly assemble and clean it up. I did the annual on it and flew it from Wallkill to Albany and back to get the Export C of A. The guy that bought it supposedly also had a Stagerwing. While we were working on getting the airplane ready to ship he also purchased a Tyrrel. Don't recall which chassis it was but it had a Cosworth. If you have the log books from back then my name should be in there, David Schober. Just looked it up on the FAA web site and it is the same airplane, was owned by Leon (Bud) Van Dusen.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, will go trough the logbooks and let you know!

Post Thanks / Like

I believe Doug and/or Dan Stewart restored a PA22 in the early 2000’s with that prop on it. They may know more about availability. Steve can give you their contact info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Menno1968 View Post
    I'm looking if someone could help me find a Hartzell HC-82XL-6D constant speed prop for my tailwheel modified PA22 from 1957.

It was rarely fitted in the factory with this prop, when I bought it it as an project the prop wasn't there anymore and Hartzell had no direct replacement either.

Other option is to have the engine modified for a fixed prop but could be nice to fit a prop as it was, story is that it came out of the factory with this prop as a seaplane so maybe that was why it was fitted with this constant speed prop.

I'm about to take the engine of for overhaul so now would be the time to decide..

That prop is subject to a AD that requires a tear down inspection every 500 hours or 5 years. Steel hub is prone to corrosion from contaminants trapped in oil that controls pitch. Simple fix during engine overhaul, install plug in end of crank flange. 20 bucks versus $12,000 prop overhauls! You can find a lot of $12,000 Aztecs for sale with two of those props. Not airworthy of course because of the prop AD. Hartzell sells a new hub design for replacement. How much? I would be scared to ask.
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 11-09-2023 at 07:16 PM.