Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Help identifying wings on my Experimental SP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help identifying wings on my Experimental SP

Hello, I am rebuilding an Experimental Stretched pacer that I picked up last July. This plane was flying for about 14 years before it was parked. Previous owner installed a new Titan O-340 and never turned it over, the pickling from the factory in 2014 did a great job preserving the engine for 8 years in coastal Alaska! I have completed necessary tubing repairs due to some previous damage and corrosion, now I am working on the wings. I need to replace a front spar due to two cracks in the top cap. This plane didn’t come with any paperwork so I don’t actually know what wings I have, I believe they may be pa-12 or pa-14. If I remember correctly the spars are 196”, 6” longer than a pa-18 spar. Can anyone help me identify these wings based off of spar length so I can pick up a new one next time in up in Anchorage?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help identifying wings on my Experimental SP

Hard to tell without being close and getting a good look But looks like a piper wing. Do the flap and aileron bays look like a 14 or 18 Normally the tips are opened and a splice inserted when they square them off although one STC shortens the wing. If it is a full length spar with no spice and longer than a 18 I would figure a modified 12 or 14. A uncut/undrilled spar at full length can be had at stoddards. They may have to order it. Being experimental the rib spacing may not be stock so measure that and compare to the 14 drawings. If the rib spacing matches the drawings have them drill it if not pull the spar and use it as a guide to drill new holes. What is the location of the cracks on the spar??
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Denny, this wing has a full length spar with no splice. I was thinking it’s a -12 or a -14 wing as well but will need to compare to some drawings. Do you know where I can reference those wing drawings? The cracks are just outside the strut attachment point on the front spar, a makeshift patch was installed at sometime. I figured my last resort would be to pull the spar out and use it as a template on a new spar.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure who would have the wing blueprints. Check over on Supercub.org.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Those are Short Wing Piper ribs, T section riveted to the bottom of the cap strip. Pacer aileron control system just moved around as is the flap system. PA12/14 have the aileron bellcranks laid horizontally inside the wing. I would splice the spar per Piper Service Memo SM-03A https://resources.univair.com/docs/s...ir-information short of replacing an entire spar.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve has a good point. Should not be that hard to find a spar with outboard damage and use the inner 1/2 for the splice.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve and Denny,
    I believe the cracks in the spar cap are too close to the strut attachment for me to splice so we will be changing the whole spar. Finally got the spar out, she wasn’t so straight anymore from previous damage. I’ll pick up a new spar in Anchorage when I drive up to drop off the fuselage at powder coat. IMG_1864.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Most after market spars are 17' or 204" which looks like what you have. No matter which version of the stretched Pacer you have there needs to be some form of spar reinforcement at the strut attach point if you are going to up the gross weight and since the ailerons have been moved outboard. I'm curious as to how that kind of damage got into the top spar cap??
    Last edited by Southern Aero; 01-07-2024 at 05:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Aero View Post
    Most after market spars are 17" or 204" which looks like what you have. No matter which version of the stretched Pacer you have there needs to be some form of spar reinforcement at the strut attach point if you are going to up the gross weight. I'm curious as to how that kind of damage got into the top spar cap??
    Thanks for the info Wayne! The gross weight was set at 2200lbs by the builder but I will be adding a bit of reinforcement to the strut attach point for sure. I’m not sure how the damage happened, other clues lead me to believe it may have been crashed on the right side. There was damage to the right gear as well as some dented tubes in the area, all of which we replaced already.