Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Rear Heat Duct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rear Heat Duct

Has anyone found a substitute metal flex duct material to replace what Piper used. It appears Piper simply crushed some round aluminum flex ducting a little flatter to fit the tight space under the cabin floor and hammered the ends with right angled flats to mate up with the rectangular flange fittings on each end. Pretty crude for a manufactured item.

IMG_8965.jpeg
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rear Heat Duct

I think that is exactly what they did. I have bought the aluminum ducting from Univair. Maybe insert i piece of wood inside to keep from collapsing while forming.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rear Heat Duct

Crude? Why don't you get your handy 3D printer out and cad up a really trick mold and make one out of double layer carbon fiber?.....no? Too hard???

A coiled aluminum duct that is carefully hand molded to ovalize where needed and "rectangularize" where it attaches is just fine if you ask me.

I made my own replacement using common sense and unsophisticated tools (wooden block like Steve said to square the corners) and the final product is elegantly beautiful if I say so, myself. It took some patience and time to fit, squeeze, refit, reshape, running all the way from the firewall under the floor, popping up through the hole in the floor, etc., but it came out great. I went slow. Prolly' took an hour. Oh, and the first one lasted 65 years. The second one is better.
    Last edited by Subsonic; 01-01-2024 at 10:57 PM.