Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Revival of a '55 PA-22

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Revival of a '55 PA-22

...And my A&P said the same -- use galvanized. We replaced a couple; he has that Nicopress tool so we just ordered some cable & sleeves and made them up as needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great input everyone! I have ordered a full set of galvanized lines and associated hardware. I toyed with the idea of making my own lines, but as with any learning experience I'm bound to make a few mistakes and I figured it easier and potentially cheaper to buy lines ready made this time.

I've been out for work a good few days, but I managed to make some progress with my dad this week. We drilled a few holes in the SB819 sheet metal and thankfully found minimal or no corrosion on the underlying tubes. Phew. However, moving on to the tail, I found some corrosion on the lower right longeron, though I suspect it is minor. The left is clean. I will be investigating that further this week. Working further back, I decided to remove the elevator and check it and the link tubes for corrosion.. Both turned out great! I also removed my flying wires to inspect and replace corroded attach points. I need to look into the ADs on the flying wires. From what I can tell, the top wires and attachments have all been replaced at some point, as well as the lowest attachment by the rudder. However, the upper attachment for the lower flying wire is still of the old pin type versus the nut and bolt that I can find in the univair parts manual. Needs research. I'll be reading over the logbook again tonight.

For a change of pace, I also worked on the wings for a few minutes. Peering into the inspection ports reveals very little if any corrosion which is confirmed by my borescope. I noticed that I seem to have an odd flap return spring setup. I have one long spring instead of what appears as two pieces in the parts manual. (8-87; 8-88 ) Has anyone else seen something similar?

Finally, my dad and I found a spare propeller! Our original is in fine shape, but couldn't pass this up for a couple hundred bucks. Looks pretty nice once its shined up. Ours has about 2000hr snew, this one is about the same. Shiiiiiiny

CL
    IMG_2120.JPG
    Screenshot (3).jpg
    IMG_2140.JPG
    IMG_2141.JPG
    IMG_2142.JPG
    IMG_2129.JPG
    IMG_2131.JPG
    IMG_2134.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA-16 View Post
    She was beggin for fresh gas and air under her wings. When did sb819 get made? My plane was rebuiult in the 70s and no mention of the serv bullet. Figure I will wait another 20 or 30 years if it needs recovered than.

Whats the big knob?

Found the service bullet, looks like 1986 and after my plane was rebuilt, been hangared all its life since resurrection around 1980, probably no concern
    Hopefully she'll get that well deserved airtime in a few months!!

The big knob above the radio is the selector for the EGT guage. At some point early on, the owner installed EGT on all 4 cylinders.

CL

IMG_2055.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice-looking plane -- like it was really well taken care of (unlike mine....)!

That's an interesting "boot" there on the nose wheel oleo -- is that a standard Piper part or a home-made piece?

Post Thanks / Like

My 1960 Pacer also has one long spring for the flap return.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The early Pipers had a short flap return spring with a piece of 1/16" cable connected. Pretty quick Piper started having the springs made like is in your picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    Very nice-looking plane -- like it was really well taken care of (unlike mine....)!

That's an interesting "boot" there on the nose wheel oleo -- is that a standard Piper part or a home-made piece?
    Thank you! The boot is something of my own design. The oleo was collapsed when we picked up the airplane and the valve on top doesn't hold air. I used a rubber sheet wrapped around the oleo to give it some squish incase it got bounced around on the trailer. Totally forgot to remove it now that its in the hangar.

CL

Post Thanks / Like

Great to hear the long springs are the new standard. Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Easy day today. Did some cleaning and polishing of a wing. Checking for corrosion here and there as we go. Nothing found so far aside from some surface corrosion on the flap and aileron hinge mounts. Cleaning up really nicely. The paint on the wings must be different than the fuselage as there is no cracking present on the wings and they are covered at roughly the same time as the fuselage. However the wings are covered with a different fabric system. The fuselage is ceconite. Got the horizontal stabilizer mount out and cleaned up at home. Hit it with a coat of primer. More progress to come. My first package from Univair should be arriving in the evening tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

That's the way to do it, a bit at a time, taking your time. I was annoyed with how long cleaning up my firewall took, but when it was all done the difference was both very gratifying and satisfying. Looking back on all the sanding, scraping, sweating, cursing... it was worth it.

DSC09534.jpg DSC09685.jpg
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 01-12-2024 at 04:32 AM.