Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Revival of a '55 PA-22

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Revival of a '55 PA-22

Progress report from the hangar! I have been on the road for work a lot, but trying to get out to the airport whenever I can. Since my last update, we have one wing almost finished and the second well underway. I replaced the control cables, and bushings in the right wing the other day, and man what a pain that was. With the wing covered up, it was very challenging to get the new fairleads installed along with the cotter pins for the pulleys. It seems like the old composite fairleads had swollen slightly and required cutting to be removed. However once finished, everything seems to move smoothly. I'm hoping when we cut out a bit of fabric to test, that it tests fine. It would be a shame to recover the wings as they are turning out so nice!

Project #2 last week was designed by my dad. We have the worlds most over built PA-22 wing stand. This should last for the next 10 project airplanes! It seems to hold the wings just fine, and will make moving to my new hangar easy next month!

I also followed the steps of another forum member who replaced his fuel level sender screws with something other than the old stripped out Philips head fasteners. Should this assembly have to come out again in the future, the new screws should make removal a bit easier.

I'm hoping I can use my upcoming few days off to finish the wings, and move to starting the fuselage. I've already got the flying wires cleaned up, and new ends on order from Univair.

Getting there!!

CL

IMG_2298.JPG
    IMG_2306.JPG
    IMG_2333.JPG
    IMG_2322.JPG
    IMG_2325.JPG
    IMG_2332.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing you might wish to do with those senders: get an ohm meter and check their throw and resistance, just to ensure that part works --and they're both similar-- before putting them back in the tanks for good. IIRC, ohms should be between <1 ohm on the low end ("empty") and 30-35 on the high end ("full").

And, of course, replace the gaskets and special washers that have the rubber inserts.

DSC00125.JPG DSC00126.JPG
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 01-30-2024 at 05:06 AM. Reason: add photos

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Walt, that is a great idea! I will definitely check the resistance on the fuel senders before I put them back together. I remember reading a post regarding those special washers that go under the screws but I can’t seem to find it again. Do you recall a part number or any specifics regarding those washers? My original screws just had split washers underneath the heads and what felt like ez-turn on the threads.

-CL

Post Thanks / Like

AFAIK, they're simply called "sealing washers." I got mine in a kit from Comanche Parts (?) -- that included the sending unit gasket, 5 screws, and 5 sealing washers... but I believe they have a minimum order (which is more than the cost for two kits), and those sealing washers are available from other sources -- It was a while ago -- what's the screw size, #8?

I replaced my screws as well, but used socket-head (allen wrench) screws so I could presumably get at them on an angle with a ball-driver, but I think your idea of a hex-head bolt with a Phillips hole is better. I had replaced my butt ribs with Univair 1-piece stamped ribs but even with those, a vertical member of the rib is smack dab in the way of getting at those sender screws. (A few choice words appropriate here....)

Last time I had to pull the senders, I went ahead and drained the tanks, opened the tank straps, disconnected fuel lines, internal drag brace tube bolt & nut, and then lifted the inboard edge of the tank to get at them. Yep, a real PITA, but I had some issues that needed attention -- wiring issues and a leaking sender screw due to bunged-up threads in the tank's internal nut that prevented one screw from tightening all the way down (leak).

Here's me running a tap into the screw hole to clean up the threads.... (Yes, I put grease on the tap to catch any pieces)

DSC00121.JPG DSC00122.JPG
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 01-30-2024 at 03:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just installed the fuel senders on the Colt. I ordered screws and gasket and sealing washers from McFarlane but the washers were too big in diameter to fit in the surface area of the sender. I used permatex high temp thread sealer on the screws and gasket maker on both sides of the gasket. no leaks.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you have a great project! I picked up a '59 Tri Pacer last weekend and am looking forward to getting started on it. Last Annual 1979, but has been disassembled and stored indoors since then. Just joined the group and will start a post after I unload it and take some pictures. Your progress is inspiring.

Post Thanks / Like

be sure to check for wear on the two chrome pipe stubs that go between the horizontals and the jack screw.
    They seem to be bad about getting grooves worn in them. (through the chrome plating)

Not too expensive to replace.

Tim