Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bungees for a tailwheel colt

Post Thanks / Like

Default bungees for a tailwheel colt

book says 750 lb but its a tailwheel colt with a O-290 so should I use the -006 with 950 lbs strengh ? does it matter in the end since it will never have 4 people in it ? how about 1 of each ? dont want to do this job more times than needed.

Thanks as always

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: bungees for a tailwheel colt

The PA-22-108 has a gross weight of 1650 lbs, makes no difference what engine it has, the gross weight is still the same so the bungees don’t change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Makes sense Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Dgapilot’s point is valid, but the empty weight with an O-290 or O-320 will be greater than with an O-235. I own a Colt 22/20 that I re-engined a few years ago from the O-235 to an O-320. I’ve tried 1080(regular and HD), 1280(regular and HD) and mixtures of both. The heavier bungees are stiffer, at least initially. In the end it is a matter of choice. Changing bungees is not a big challenge, IF you have a well designed bungee tool. Additionally, the bungees have not been lasting like they used to. I believe the quality of the rubber i# not what it once was. My AP/IA has seen a set of bungees on a J3 go bad in a year. My comments are based on my own experience.

Post Thanks / Like

I plan to use the harbor freight engine hoist method to install the bungees. I guess I can use the Colt bungees and as you say they can always be changed out in a few years if not desirable. The heavier bungees are actually a little cheaper though. Thanks for your input

Post Thanks / Like

I just changed mine on my colt. Used 1080 regulars. Its still pretty stiff compared to old ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by txfirefighter628 View Post
    I just changed mine on my colt. Used 1080 regulars. Its still pretty stiff compared to old ones.
    From what I saw that isn't say much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    From what I saw that isn't say much.
    True, lol. It didn’t bounce though. The bungee tool made the job very easy. Hardest part was getting the gear leg off the ground high enough to pull out the hydrasorb.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I imagine you had to use some finesse on the landings. Thanks for posting that picture. Good to see how the cords look when they start failing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I imagine you had to use some finesse on the landings. Thanks for posting that picture. Good to see how the cords look when they start failing.
    Yes, took it very easy the last time I flew it before replacing the bungees. I looked back in the logs and they were replaced October 2019. They were only 4 years old and had 100 hours on them. Is this normal for them to be worn that much in such a short time frame?