Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Piper Autocontrol

Post Thanks / Like

Default Piper Autocontrol

Anyone have experience removing "Piper Autocontrol?" Vacumn Horizon, DG, and motor connected to Co-pilot controls.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Piper Autocontrol

Isn't the installation depicted on the Piper drawings?

https://shortwingpiperclub.org/produ...r-drawings-cd/

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Glen, I guess I need to get that CD.

Ed Christian

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I should mention that you might want to discuss with your IA about removing all the stuff, being careful not to remove/damage/misalign anything you actually need.
    Also you will need to redo the weight & balance for the plane when all the stuff is out.
    If it hasn't been weighed in 10~20 years then its probably a good idea anyway.
    Lots of discussion of W&B on this site, use the search function upper right corner of the webpage.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Jus' curious, so I googled Piper Autocontrol and looked at the Autocontrol III, and Altimatic III Manual which lists all the Pipers that had these installed.

I see PA23, 24, 28, 31, etc., but Nothing for a PA22. Is this installation on a PA22? If so, I'd be surprised if the CD showed any drawings for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Piper TCDS 1A6 which includes anll the PA22 aircraft under Interior Equipment .402 to .409 lists a number of Auto Pilots including Lear.
    .401 list the various Flight Manual Supplements for the various autopilot installations.

All you need is one of the listed systems, flight manual supplement, system components in airworthy condition, a competent A&P to install it and sign it off and you are good to go.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 01-11-2024 at 05:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gilbert.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it looks like original equipment. All vacuum driven and there is some kind of motor connected to aileron chain on co-pilots side. I think I will need to find a normal size yoke tube because the one on Co-pilots side looks shorter than the one on the Pilot's side to compensate for motor sandwiched in between.

There is nothing in the Flight Manual and I cannot find a supplement for it. From what I have heard, it does not work very well and I want to go all electric! Will install 2 AV-30s as attitude and DG and make standard 6-pack.

Will get IA to advise and will do W&B when complete.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eacfly View Post
    Yes it looks like original equipment. All vacuum driven and there is some kind of motor connected to aileron chain on co-pilots side. I think I will need to find a normal size yoke tube because the one on Co-pilots side looks shorter than the one on the Pilot's side to compensate for motor sandwiched in between.

There is nothing in the Flight Manual and I cannot find a supplement for it. From what I have heard, it does not work very well and I want to go all electric! Will install 2 AV-30s as attitude and DG and make standard 6-pack.

Will get IA to advise and will do W&B when complete.

Ed
    Thanks for posting. I want an autopilot and am struggling with how to get there. Appreciate any insight.
    -Subsonic

Post Thanks / Like

Jim Younkin had a True Track in the Mystery Pacer. He removed it each year for annual then replaced it when the inspection was signed off. It was not a legal installation but he used it for years and never got caught. Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk