Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Piper Autocontrol

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Piper Autocontrol

Jim was parked next to me with the Mystery Pacer at Blakesburg Antique Airplane Flyin. He looked my Clipper control system over and explained to me how easy it would be to mount a servo on the carry-thru with a nylon hook on the stick. No need to mess with the control cables. He said we will mount it with quick disconnect sockets. If you crash you just kick it and it fall off the carry-thru. He showed me his Pacer system and how easy it was to remove.
    My wife and I went off to lunch. When we came back Jim had sketched up a simple complete Clipper auto-pilot installation for me. I wish I had kept it as an artifact.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 01-13-2024 at 01:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Jim was parked next to me with the Mystery Pacer at Blakesburg Antique Airplane Flyin. He looked my Clipper control system over and explained to me how easy it would be to mount a servo on the carry-thru with a nylon hook on the stick. No need to mess with the control cables. He said we will mount it with quick disconnect sockets. If you crash you just kick it and it fall off the carry-thru. He showed me his Pacer system and how easy it was to remove.
    My wife and I went off to lunch. When we came back Jim had sketched up a simple complete Clipper auto-pilot installation for me. I wish I had kept it as an artifact.
    Jim was great like that. I mentioned that I was having trouble with cracks on my gear fairings on the Howard. A couple weeks later some new fairings showed up in the mail! I do miss having him as a great technical resource. Just a note for those that don’t know, Jim designed all the EDO/ Century/ Mitchell autopilots along with the True Track autopilots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I was president of the Local EAA chapter in the late 90’s. I suggested to Jim he might like to come to Memphis and put on a metal working seminar. He flew the Mystery Pacer from Fayetteville, Arkansas with a bunch of dollies, bucking bars and tooling he had made and demonstrated how he made the Mystery Pacer’s fairings. He was always willing to share his expertise.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure would be cool if these folks made one for a PA22!

https://www.portapilot.com/

Post Thanks / Like

NXCub: Nose wheel, Garmin G3X, Auto Pilot with the Blue button. Sit back and watch You Tube videos on cross country flights at 140mph.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    NXCub: Nose wheel, Garmin G3X, Auto Pilot with the Blue button. Sit back and watch You Tube videos on cross country flights at 140mph.
    The NX Cub cruises at 150 mph and only run $500K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eacfly View Post
    Yes it looks like original equipment. All vacuum driven and there is some kind of motor connected to aileron chain on co-pilots side. I think I will need to find a normal size yoke tube because the one on Co-pilots side looks shorter than the one on the Pilot's side to compensate for motor sandwiched in between.

There is nothing in the Flight Manual and I cannot find a supplement for it. From what I have heard, it does not work very well and I want to go all electric! Will install 2 AV-30s as attitude and DG and make standard 6-pack.

Will get IA to advise and will do W&B when complete.

Ed
    I have the 2 AV30s installed on my plane and removed the vacuum pump lost a total of 14 lbs. I also have
    the electric wing leveler that’s connected to my T&B. You won’t be sorry you spent the money or time. I love it especially on long trips. Spend the extra money and install the OAT and magnetometer to you AV30s

Mark H
    N3320Z

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, what wing leveler did you install?

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to have a wing leveler. Which one do you have?

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Ed, You should email piper. They will send you a copy of your original flight manual. I did.
    Bill