Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Cylinder & frame paint - PA-20

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cylinder & frame paint - PA-20

Looking for recommendations on primers and paints. I've reviewed other threads and want a little more detail.
    1) I have some surface corrosion that I've removed on the frame tubing after removing the firewall. Zinc Chromate self etching primer? Any Epoxy top coat?
    2) Removed then blasted and cleaned the exterior of the cylinders. Trying to maintain the chrome inside the cylinder. Cylinders only have 100 hours on them, but hasn't run in a long time. Need recommendation for surface prep, high temp primer and final paint. And particular brands we should use? I've seen a lot of paint flaking from improper use of paint. Want to avoid that. Any differences between the steel and aluminum cylinder?
    Thx - Mike Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cylinder & frame paint - PA-20

I blast, epoxy prime and top coat fuselages with Ranthane. All I have ever painted cylinders with is the spray can Lycoming engine paint.

https://custom-aerosol.com/wp-conten...DATA-DP-40.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Epoxy prime and urethane topcoat on airframe.
    On engine Lycoming calls out zinc chromate primer and enamel paint. The goal is to keep paint as thin as possible and still get good coverage. It’s insulating and you’re basically coating the radiator with it.

A wash primer like Sherwin Williams P60G2 works well as it goes in so thin yet gives good adhesion (to prevent the peeling you mentioned).
    I also use the rattle can enamel. I’ve also used the polyfiber enamel with success if you prefer to use a spray gun.

Post Thanks / Like

Tempo primer and old gray mule can be hard to find sometimes. Superflite has it https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...All%20Products

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post
    That is what I recently used on this anodized crankcase, accessory case and sump. Left the new Superior cylinder heads anodized, no paint.
    PXL_20240101_234907477.jpg PXL_20240101_234938278.jpg