Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welding

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Welding

Ditto going to a local vo-tech school and taking a welding course, it'll be money well spent. I did that several years ago and it was a big help. Though I also wouldn't trust myself to do a professional job on an airplane, it was definitely a big help for other projects around the house.

Maybe I'm old school, but I still prefer welding with gas; fortunately, I ended up with a nice, compact "B" tank set-up after my refrigeration days. I also have a flux-core WF welder, but still go for the oxy-acetylene first!

Post Thanks / Like

I have an OA rig and a PrimeWeld TIG225X.
    I don't do much welding, but these seem to be all I will ever need for welding in the garage.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't weld, neither does my (Missouri born but Alaska experienced) IA. The welder(s) my IA and I used for my tailwheel. They both do gas, only Chrissy (seated) does TiG. In her past she was a jewelry smith and a naval architect. The welds weren't art but according to folks who know they are good welds. Hey, she is 71!

That said I would love to learn but I don't think I'll have the time to get and stay proficient in TiG.

IMG_9571.jpeg
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely take a community college 1 semester Tig or gas class- which ever one you like. Someone to SHOW YOU-- will make things much clearer much faster.

miller makes small DC only (steel+stainless steel- no al.) units that can be had used for 600-1000$ from craigs list or facebook marketplace. They are 150 amp inverters. But that will be plenty for tubing.

Find a fun project and weld for a couple of weeks every day on it. you will be much better when you are done.
    likely won't need to do aluminum (unless you just want to learn that too) - that adds another 2500$ to the machine.....

Post Thanks / Like

If you want something to practice, try the Precision Tube Laser hurricane kit. Great practice but heavier wall than used in aircraft.