Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O320

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: O320

Landed at Don Mueang airport in 1965 for a refueling stop with a load of helicopter engines in a C130 bound for Da Nang. We reported a control system hydraulic leak hoping spend the night in Bangkok. Before we could get out of the airport the efficient Thai maintenance folks had the leak repaired.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    Hi Phil,
    There is a GA engine maintenance facility in Don Mueang that might be helpful. I googled Thai Aircraft Engine Maintenance to find this, so I have no experience with them.

https://www.taithailand.com/EN/our_s...nt_maintenance

It's at the "old" airport where the outstanding Royal Thai Air Force Museum is located. If you have not visited that museum I recommend you go, it was pretty great last time I was there (~12 years ago) with some unique planes. Lots of Northrop F-5s!
    https://museum.rtaf.mi.th/?page_id=100&lang=en

Good luck!

Glen in Oregon

Thanks, I will contact them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    Hi Phil,
    There is a GA engine maintenance facility in Don Mueang that might be helpful. I googled Thai Aircraft Engine Maintenance to find this, so I have no experience with them.

https://www.taithailand.com/EN/our_s...nt_maintenance

It's at the "old" airport where the outstanding Royal Thai Air Force Museum is located. If you have not visited that museum I recommend you go, it was pretty great last time I was there (~12 years ago) with some unique planes. Lots of Northrop F-5s!
    https://museum.rtaf.mi.th/?page_id=100&lang=en

Good luck!

Glen in Oregon
    Many thanks. I will contact them.

Post Thanks / Like

All attempts to remove the broken stud stuck in crankcase have been unsuccessful. Including using an extractor up to the stud elastic limit ...

I made decision to remove all cylinders and accessories and send the crankcase for an overhaul to a shop, likely to be in US.

A friend of mine is sending back 2 planes by container from Thailand to Wisconsin, then will stay there for a while and be able to follow up my stuff.

I will send crankcase plus camshaft, crankshaft, gears, connecting rods,oil pump and oil sump (with engine ID plate) for an overhaul.
    It is likely I will have to replace at least one cylinder (limits exceeded beyond repair), possibly all depending on checkings.
    As I already have OVHed magnetos and carburator, following crankcase OVH and cylinders replacement, engine will be full OVHed.

Questions :

1- Incuding hydraulic tappets int the OVH is a good idea ?

2- If anyone knows some serious shops in Wisconsin area (in the vicinity of Oshkosh ?). It would be very helpful. I will also check DIVCO.
    3- Any suggestion is welcomed

Thanks in advance
    PH

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great shop just south of Oshkosh. Our stop for fuel just before we fly into Oshkosh.

https://www.poplargroveairmotive.com/engine-shop/

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

The poplar Grove shop is in Rockford, Illinois, and very well prepared with dealing with about any problem in house.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi,

The poplar Grove shop is in Rockford, Illinois, and very well prepared with dealing with about any problem in house.
    Many thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi,

Full circle….

Post #5

Poplar Grove Will just send it to Divco for you.