Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pacer on Landes skis?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pacer on Landes skis?

Hey all,

I'm just writing up field approval paperwork for legalizing the L2000s it's been on for years. Ray at Airglas said they didn't pursue the STC for the 20 because the gear is not the same. I figure he's talking about the 1 1/4" axles, but are there other differences between the 22 and 20 main gear? Anybody else have any luck approving L2000s or another straight ski that's no on the tcds?

Thanks,
    Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pacer on Landes skis?

Forgot to note- the Airglas STC for L2000A on PA-22 looks like it's for tricycle gear planes. I figure it's common to still run them when tailwheel converted. Did anyone do any paperwork to approve that change?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Original Pacers had 1.25" axles. Most Tri-Pacer to Pacer conversions have 1.5" axles. I take it your is a true PA20?

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember your rigging will be different for the PA-20 (or tailwheel PA-22) than for the tricycle gear PA-22. If the installation shows cable lengths they will all be different.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I take it your is a true PA20?
    Yup, '52 pa-20. Do you know, if all 20s had 1.25 axles, what gear legs go on the conversions? Must be a non-piper part.

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Just remember your rigging will be different for the PA-20 (or tailwheel PA-22) than for the tricycle gear PA-22. If the installation shows cable lengths they will all be different.
    Roger that. They're already rigged since the plane's been running them for years. When I have to remake the cables though I have a drawing showing the max ski travels from atlee dodge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just know that the original PA20 gear was narrow and had 1.25" axles. Not sure if Piper ever made 1.5" axles for the Pacer. The conversion kits had an option for axle size at one time.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure my narrow gear was original. Found three repairs to the right gear log in the log books. Didn’t find any entries saying they replaced the gear. Mine was 1-1/2”. The fourth time the right gear failed I was flying it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of Pacers were converted to 1 1/2” axles when the took the 800x4 wheels off. Some used sleeves, others cut the 1 1/4” axle out and welded in a 1 1/2” axle in.