Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Trim set jackscrew lubricant

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trim set jackscrew lubricant

My 1954 PA-22 hasn’t flown in 12+ years. Just finishing the final tasks before an annual. I’m unable to turn the trim crank. All pulleys from the from to the back turn fine. I am unable to turn the pulley on top of the jackscrew by hand. When I crank the handle in either direction, the cable pulls at the front pulley only creates slack on one side of the pulley and and high tension the other side. The jack screw appears to have grease around the unexposed threads. The exposed threads could use more grease once it starts moving.
    I have read through these threads. What did I miss? What can I do to free the jack screw?

Pacer Trim Handle Mount Repair (shortwingpipers.org)
    Trim pulleys PA 22 (shortwingpipers.org)
    Jackscrew and tight movement? (shortwingpipers.org)

Thanks.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trim set jackscrew lubricant

Hi,

Can you reach the rear pully and attempt to turn it while someone else turns the trim handle up front?

If you can free it an EZ way to clean it is to loop a cotton rope around the screw then out through one of the side holes and have someone up front turn the handle while you keep the small rope in the threads while it turns. Pull on one end of the rope a little as it travels to wipe cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree with Jim. I bet you have congealed grease in the jackscrew threads. Fun to clean out but it usually frees up the trim. I use string, picks, tooth brush and lots of spray lube.

Post Thanks / Like

I put penetrating oil above and below the pulley and the middle joint of the jack screw to the elevator. It didn't move immediately, but I have let it soak a couple of days now. Here in St. Louis, we were hit with 4-5 inches of snow so I have stayed home until some of the snow melts. I'll exercise these tips tomorrow. Thank you for your on-going support.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

I have use LPS #2 for years. Never had it get gummy or stiff. Never had to clean it out the threads.

Post Thanks / Like

It's working? Wiped and picked out the old grease. Over 2 days, I ran generating oil down the jack screw. It moved very little at first. More to it than I have here, but it is working well now. Thanks.