Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: False Spar behind fuel panel

Post Thanks / Like

Default False Spar behind fuel panel

Wondering if anyone else has run into this and what you have done about it. Restoring the wings on my PA 22/20 (1955 PA 22-150) and decided to replace false spars on both sides. I ordered the False Spar Panels (U12643) from Univair. When installing the nut plates for the fuel panel don’t line up with the fuel panel.

When comparing to the false spars that I removed: the (what I assume is) original Piper part measures 11 5/16” from the trailing edge of the False spar to the nut plates for the fuel panel. The Univair part measures 11”. The old parts are shot…so I really don’t want to attempt a repair. Univair says that the parts they shipped me are produced per the Piper drawing that they have.

I had a friend measure his PA-22 from the trailing edge of false spar to his fuel panel screws…11” just like the Univair part.

Was there a run of PA 22’s that used a different part for the false spars behind the fuel panels? Thanks for any info anyone can provide!
    —Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: False Spar behind fuel panel

Part number 12463. I see no change in the part via serial number. Unfortunately that drawing is missing from the CD.