Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: was I just scammed ? you decide--

Post Thanks / Like

Default was I just scammed ? you decide--

on monday I ordered a quart of Par-al-ketone from the pricey place in Colorado.
    They had the best price on google. 30.92$

The big place in Atlanta showed 59$.

I call the place in CO. to check my order status--- they will me it will be another week of delay before it even gets shipped out. Then they tell me the shipping will be 39$--- that's more than the product costs. They claimed it was because of hazmat issues.

Called the Big place in Atlanta-- they said the ground shipping was not hazmat and would be about 20$.
    and of coarse if I had ordered from them it would have been here in 2 days.

It has the appearance that the Place in Co. is advertising a lower price and then just raising the shipping up by the amount they under-advertised the price. It has the appearance of advertising a false price ----

They also claimed they were swamped with orders and were just a small company. Thats why they said it would take a week just to get it out the door. Thats service isn't it ?

Anyone else experienced this kind of tricky stuff ? I am going to be much more careful the next time I HAVE to order from them....

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: was I just scammed ? you decide--

I would cancel the order. I use PayPal because it is easy to get your money back in a scam.
    I always check the shipping cost before I submit the order. I have experienced excess shipping so they can make more money. Had that happen yesterday when the cheapest vendor had an outrageous shipping cost. He the the audacity to email to day me today to tell that I had not completed the order.

ALWAYS CHECK THE SHIPPING COST.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 02-29-2024 at 07:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

The lower costs on ebay compared to Amazon with free shipping are usually doing the same thing, excess shipping to more than make up the difference. Shopping around is full of pitfalls to be watchful for.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that now I guess----
    I can see that they are trying to take advantage of people ---- no respect for that-----

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Univair is way short handed and has been for a while. Too many people can't pass a drug test to work there. Common problem at many of the vendors that support our airplanes. I have been down this HazMat shipping rabbit hole before. Some companies interpret things differently. The fines are very hefty so I can't say I blame them. I ordered a pallet of Poly-Fiber chemicals and got a shipping quote to deliver from California to my hangar in Texas. A month after delivery I got a revised bill that was charged to my credit card for double the quoted price. The trucking company changed the shipping code for the contents because they felt like they knew more than Poly-Fiber of the contents. Luckily I fought it and my credit card refused to pay them. I never used that freight company again and I get a lot of motor freight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tim bandy View Post
    on monday I ordered a quart of Par-al-ketone from the pricey place in Colorado.
    They had the best price on google. 30.92$

The big place in Atlanta showed 59$.

I call the place in CO. to check my order status--- they will me it will be another week of delay before it even gets shipped out. Then they tell me the shipping will be 39$--- that's more than the product costs. They claimed it was because of hazmat issues.

Called the Big place in Atlanta-- they said the ground shipping was not hazmat and would be about 20$.
    and of coarse if I had ordered from them it would have been here in 2 days.

It has the appearance that the Place in Co. is advertising a lower price and then just raising the shipping up by the amount they under-advertised the price. It has the appearance of advertising a false price ----

They also claimed they were swamped with orders and were just a small company. Thats why they said it would take a week just to get it out the door. Thats service isn't it ?

Anyone else experienced this kind of tricky stuff ? I am going to be much more careful the next time I HAVE to order from them....

Tim
    I would suggest you call Jim Dyer at Univair and talk to him. Sometimes the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I have done business with Univair for 30 plus years. I don't always agree with their pricing but would never accuse them of scamming. Talk to him and it might help them, you and the next guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Univair is really slow to ship . Unlike all Internet sales companies who will get that order on the truck faster than lightning , you can be waiting days or weeks for Univiair .

Post Thanks / Like

Dealt with Univair just a few weeks ago on a J3 false spar missing the dent on the topside to clear the aileron cable. They said they would whip one out pronto but advised that they had a guy in the shipping department out due to an injury and where getting slammed with orders. Said to expect three to five days to process before it gets shipped out.
    Still showed up within a week though.
    No they are not the fastest shipper or the cheapest in freight cost. But I’ve never received anything damaged in transport. And I’ve been ordering a PILE from them lately.

Post Thanks / Like

On the positive side-- the paperwork (just the paper only) for the gear STC has gone from 475$ to 140$. ( I have the receipt for where it was ordered from them years ago- - just that the cover sheet with the N-number got lost over the years---)
    Need that to document the STC (which was apparently never done)

Post Thanks / Like

The timing of this thread is interestly as I ordered a bundle of tubing from Wicks that was advertised for $15. I ordered online and the website set the shipping fee. It did not ship in 4 weeks so I inquired and was told shipping would be another $15 as they would not honor there own website. I CANCELLED THE ORDER as this is BS.