Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: PA-16 Cowling Options

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-16 Cowling Options

Hey all, I'm looking for recommendations for engine cowling replacements(upper and lower) for my Clipper, I understand a bunch of people would repair or make their own but I'd like to hear some other suggestions before I head in that direction. I've got an O-320 A2B installed currently and the cowling has had quite a few repairs in it's long life with patches over patches and such. How close is a PA-20 cowling to a PA-16? Are there any vendors of aftermarket replacements?(I've searched and haven't found any) Is there a decent probability I could find a good used set? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by colehanson4@gmail.com; 03-01-2024 at 01:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-16 Cowling Options

Both the PA20 and PA22 firewalls and boot cowls are different when compared to the PA16. Univair only offers the nose bowl. From the lack of results when searching for PA16 cowls it looks like you’ll need to have a cowl fabricated. If you make the cowl the nice thing since it’s sheet metal, an auto body shop can color match your and paint the parts in less time and cost than the average aircraft maintenance facility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen a number of PA16’s with PA-20 cowls. Here are three Clipper’s with PA-20 cowls. Steve made my Clipper cowling.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 03-01-2024 at 08:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have built 3 Clipper cowls over the years. Pictures here. https://photos.app.goo.gl/ny62oeyvssYaFcyX6